Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #1

New Amsoil OE 15W-40

Just checking if anyone was using or had any thoughts on the new Amsoil synthetic OE 15W-40?

I have been using the more expensive Amsoil Premium 15W-40 which is for extended drain intervals, but I find the year is up before 10,000 miles and I change the oil anyway.

The specs for both meet the CJ-4 requirement for the powerstroke 6.0l diesel, its just that the new oil is cheaper, and meant to be changed per the OEM recomendations, ie 7,500 miles for my 2007 6.0l.

I can keep using the Premium 15W-40 if it is that much better for the engine, but find I'm pretty much changing oil per Ford's recommendation (I also have the Amsoil 2 oil filter system).

Amsoil had this to say, "OE 15W-40 Synthetic Diesel Oil is ideal for those applications excluded from the extended drain interval recommendations of Premium API CJ-4 Synthetic Diesel Oil due to persistent fuel dilution issues, including 2007 to present light-duty GM, Ford and Dodge diesel pickups...."

Just thinking of using the Amsoil OE 15W-40 next time as long as I change it out at 7,500 miles - Jim Fleschner, the SMB Amsoil dude told me to stay with the more expensive Premium 15W-40 but from what Amsoil states, seems the cheaper oil should do just fine?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: New Amsoil OE 15W-40

I'm planning on sticking with the premium and still change at 7.5K. I guess if you do an oil sample every 3K that might be a reason to run the premium for longer periods and if something fails it might save your butt. I feel the new oil would be more suited for light duty vehicles and I put my van through some fairly rough stuff so no change for me.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #3

Don't have a diesel engine. Use Mobil 1 5W-30 (a group IV base stock oil) and change once a year or 10k miles which ever comes first. Use this regime only for vehicles out of warranty.

If my vehicle has a GM EOLM in it, I use that and mineral oil for oil changes if in warranty. After warranty has expired I use Mobil 1 and 2X the EOLM.

Do no oil analysis. Would only do that IF I wanted to push the oil change beyond say 15k miles.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #4

We have a 2007 Chev. Equinox and that has the EOLM software.

Our 2000 Chev. Express van does not have it. But I have seen some posts on the internet that indicates that 2008 and newer vans have it. The indicator is "free" only costs programing time in the ECM so I can see no reason GM would not use it across the board as long as the engine control modules and body computers have enough "extra" memory.

Ford has a product similar to but different (EOLM is GM patented) so I would hope they would also have it in their vans??!??

The EOLM was developed for gasoline engines and put into production in 1985 (Corvette) and Cadillac/Buick (1986). I know a EOLM was developed for diesel engines in the 1995-2000 time frame and it appeared equally accurate to the gasoline EOLM. I assume Ford would also have one for their diesel applications. Don't your SMB's have that feature? Yes? No? If you had it I think you would use it to tell you when to change oil.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Fairly sure the pickups have something like that but my 06 van doesn't. For that matter the instrument cluster in my van is based off stone knives and bear skins. I don't know if the computer monitors the quality of the oil because if it could, Ford should have known that one of my injectors was on its way out. When I took an oil sample report to them that showed chemicals in the oil pointing to a failing injector they said we don't go by that and my engine checked out good. Shortly after that the injector failed.

BTW I feel that AMSOIL's new low quality blend is fine, and if oil changes are hitting your pocket book, it might be a good choice. With our fleet trucks we are using Delo oil with oil samples and get 10 to 12K miles between changes. Our trucks typically run 8 hours a day with several hours at idle.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #6

I have used the 15 /40 Premium for the last 20 thousand miles feeling that the heavier viscosity would provide some insurance as I am a temperature and EGT monitor . I would have to say that I really have not noticed any drastic difference in temperature , milage or performance . It does seem to be a little quieter when up to temperature but that may be my
imagination . If I lived in any area that was proned to frequent freezing I would stick to the lighter weight oil . When in sub freezing weather I always try to plug in my Engine Block Heater for at least an hour prior to turning the Engine over !
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote