Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
I thought about that too...but then I realized I'd have to wear ear plugs when driving the van!
Possibly. But the 7.3 IDI currently in the van isn't exactly quiet, although it's not as loud as I expected it to be. I plan to add as much insulation under the doghouse as possible, but that conversion is many years down the priority list, so I have time to think about it.

IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:30 AM   #12

Instead of attempting a swap (Ford still doesn't have a control pack option) I decided to just order a 21 E350 cutaway 7.3.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT View Post
Instead of attempting a swap (Ford still doesn't have a control pack option) I decided to just order a 21 E350 cutaway 7.3.
This is the way to go, IMO. Plus, you gain the modern dash the 6-speed torqueshift. And I *suspect* the updated PCM and can-bus network will support the 10-speed.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
This is the way to go, IMO. Plus, you gain the modern dash the 6-speed torqueshift. And I *suspect* the updated PCM and can-bus network will support the 10-speed.
I've talked to a few folks about doing a body swap with a 2021 chassis cab. Would be pretty straight forward with 2009-2014 bodies. Maybe a little extra work with the earlier bodies but still doable. Would be a far less complex ordeal than a modern Cummins swap. For someone with a cherry Eseries body that they'd love to keep but the chassis/drivetrain is tired...or someone who wants to keep their van but rid themselves of their 6.0L problems, I think swapping the body over to a 2021 chassis is a viable solution.

You gotta love that Eseries to spend that kind of money though... Might be more affordable once the used 2021s start showing up on the market.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:57 AM   #15

Garage
Curious how a body swap would impact any existing Ford Warranty (either from a new chassis cab, or a relatively “new” used one that is still under warranty) ???
Old 08-20-2020, 09:21 AM   #16

My WAG is a body/chassis swap will forfeit any sort of factory warranty.

In a way, it's sort of doing a VIN swap, which can carry its own level of risks. Assuming the plan is to swap over the chassis and dashboard (where the VIN is typically located) from the newer chassis-cab to the older body. I owned a Dodge truck that had this done, so the VIN numbers on the dash and cab didn't match. Was not a big deal for me in PA, since they don't check/monitor such things. It was a big deal to the guy in MD who bought the truck from me. He ended up getting it titled in PA at his parents' address as the MD DMV apparently flagged the mis-matched VIN numbers. (FWIW, I had made the VIN discrepancy very clear in the CL ad I placed for the truck, unlike the eBay listing I bought it through some years prior).

This is definitely one of those situations where "your mileage will vary" applies. It's one reason why I lean towards doing a CDT swap in my van. Since my 1992 van is already a diesel and not subject to any emissions monitoring in PA, swapping from one diesel engine to a different one won't raise any flags like trying to convert a gas van would. In PA.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
My WAG is a body/chassis swap will forfeit any sort of factory warranty.

In a way, it's sort of doing a VIN swap, which can carry its own level of risks. Assuming the plan is to swap over the chassis and dashboard (where the VIN is typically located) from the newer chassis-cab to the older body. I owned a Dodge truck that had this done, so the VIN numbers on the dash and cab didn't match. Was not a big deal for me in PA, since they don't check/monitor such things. It was a big deal to the guy in MD who bought the truck from me. He ended up getting it titled in PA at his parents' address as the MD DMV apparently flagged the mis-matched VIN numbers. (FWIW, I had made the VIN discrepancy very clear in the CL ad I placed for the truck, unlike the eBay listing I bought it through some years prior).

This is definitely one of those situations where "your mileage will vary" applies. It's one reason why I lean towards doing a CDT swap in my van. Since my 1992 van is already a diesel and not subject to any emissions monitoring in PA, swapping from one diesel engine to a different one won't raise any flags like trying to convert a gas van would. In PA.
I guess it kinda depends on how you look at it... To me, putting a full-body shell on in place of a cutaway cab is like putting a motorhome body or shuttle bus body on. If you were really concerned about that, you could cut a body behind the front doors and graft it in to the cutaway cab... seems like more work to me though.

Merely a thought experiment at this point. You'd really have to have an affinity for the Eseries to go to these lengths to have a "new" van. It's totally doable and less work than you might think, however the cost would be pretty high mostly because the 2021s start at what? mid to high 30's? 40's? Then you need the facilities to swap bodies and the labor...
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #18

Sportsmobile lists the base chassis cab at about $37K including shipping and the "recommended options package". After they add the 4x4 equipment and the RV equipment and it's well into 6-figures. Personally, I am not a fan of pop-tops, so I would want the full-height body they have mentioned may be in the works.

One thing that dissuades me a bit is the 10K tow rating. Even for the E450 version (although the info on the Ford website is rather vague). For that much effort and expense, I'd hope for a little more than a 2500 lb increase in towing capacity over a Transit 350.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post

One thing that dissuades me a bit is the 10K tow rating. Even for the E450 version (although the info on the Ford website is rather vague). For that much effort and expense, I'd hope for a little more than a 2500 lb increase in towing capacity over a Transit 350.
The GCWR of the E450 is 22,000 pounds, vs 15000 pounds for the 2020 Transit Cutaway. The GCWR of the Transit Van maxes out at 13,000 pounds. Only technical difference I can find however is the cutaway a mesh grill design which looks to flow much more air.

The 10,000 tow rating on the E450 is a structural limitation of rear frame extensions. Basically, if you follow the QVM instructions, the full 10,000# limit still applies even with a giant rear frame extension. I would not at all hesitate to fully use the 22,000# GCWR if your hitch is attached to the factory frame rails.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #20

Was kicking around the Quadvan website looking for something else and saw this:

2021 Econoline: Still Relevant

Guess the new 7.3 is making waves everywhere. I still dream of putting a foam box on the back of a c/c, maybe that's the platform to do it.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote