Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2020, 10:14 AM   #1

New Ford 7.3L V8 available as a crate engine

So I know the new Ford 7.3L V8 gas engine has been mentioned on here before, but I just read an article that it is going to be offered as a crate engine. Knowing that they are using this engine in the current cutaway E350's I would think that physically it would fit pretty easily in all E series vans, no? At least the '08 and newer ones. I have no idea what it would take electronically or from a transmission perspective, but seems like that would be an awesome replacement for aging SMB's everywhere!

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-crate-engine/

Old 06-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #2

I'm hopeful that this becomes a viable swap option but considering Ford's past support of crate engines (and wiring and controls), I'm not too optimistic yet.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
Site Team

I had a slight sparkle in my eye when I read about this crate engine, as I'm going to get a new crate motor for my '69 Bronco when I retire, but I can't imagine trying to shoehorn this beast into my engine bay. Not to mention the strain on the rest of my drivetrain with that torque and HP.

Guess I'll just have to live with a 351W instead.

Herb
Old 06-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Guess I'll just have to live with a 351W instead.

I respect a first gen Bronco with a Windsor motor.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #5
Site Team

More info coming out on the 7.3L as a crate engine. Not a bad price either; ~$8150.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-73

Looks like the E-series will once again be getting reduced power versions of an engine (300HP or 350HP for E-series depending on tune vs 430HP for F-series). Not surprising, but what did surprise me is that the 7.3L E-series will be getting a 6 speed automatic instead of the 10 speed auto that the F-series will get. Also, from the website below, "Back to the 2021 Ford E-Series, the 7.3L Ford engine gives the cutaways a maximum GVWR of 14,500 pounds..."

https://fordauthority.com/2020/05/wh...ies-exclusive/

Herb
Old 08-11-2020, 07:36 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
This is an interesting option or development but I wonder if its meant only for the '08 and later years E-Series OR it would be backwards compatible beginning in with '97 and up through 2007?

Would the ECM and existing wiring in a cutaway or the full-bodied E-Series work?

Too many questions!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #7

Garage
My inside info on this engine platform is that it's an OE swap setup with no controls available for use in other vehicles. Ford has done this plenty in the past as noted by MG. I was initially very excited about this as I was hoping to do the 7.3/10 speed gas swap on my van but until the aftermarket provides assistance it doesn't seem likely.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:17 PM   #8

The E-series is not de tuned from F-series. The discrepancy in numbers is because 14,000 and up must use the engine dyno certification process which returns lower numbers than the chassis certification process. 12-14k GVWR may use either process, and for 1-ton pickups, they use the chassis cert for higher posted numbers but for the E350 ford wanted to use the same process as the E450 for commonality
Old 08-17-2020, 06:22 AM   #9

Ford Performance has offered stand-alone EFI control systems for crate engines in the past, so there's a chance they may offer one for this, but otherwise Megasquirt will likely be the required route here. It does offer a variable valve timing control option.

I had a similar thought when I first read about this engine. This would be perfect for my van. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that for that much expense and effort, I'd rather do a 12V Cummins conversion.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that for that much expense and effort, I'd rather do a 12V Cummins conversion.
I thought about that too...but then I realized I'd have to wear ear plugs when driving the van!