Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #31

Re: New motor for a '94 E350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile

Just a few thoughts that come to mind...

If the engine did seize, is it still seized? - yes

Will the starter motor crank the engine over? - no

If it does not crank, has anyone pulled the spark plugs and tried to rotate the engine by hand? - yes, and the crankshaft won't turn either direction :-(

When you say the distributor does not spin, what does that mean? - I had a hypothesis that if the timing chain was broken, the distributor might turn while the crankshaft was stationary. But neither will turn.

One last question, where did you pour the transmission fluid into? - Into the same long tube where the dipstick goes.

OK, one more, is there any external fluid leakage or residue? - I might have seen a drop of oil hanging from something under the engine, but not a waterfall. Sorry that's not very specific.
Thanks for taking an interest! Answers above.

k2orbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #32

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Wow!

Has the starter motor been removed to make sure it is not locked up in the flex plate? This actually happened just last month on one of our race trucks with the same Windsor block. For awhile we thought the motor was hydro locked (seized). The starter bendix broke and lodged in the flex plate and we couldn't turn the engine over by hand.

Has the possibility of the transmission being locked up been eliminated - disconnect the Torque Converter?

Just thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2orbust
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile

Just a few thoughts that come to mind...

If the engine did seize, is it still seized? - yes

Will the starter motor crank the engine over? - no

If it does not crank, has anyone pulled the spark plugs and tried to rotate the engine by hand? - yes, and the crankshaft won't turn either direction :-(

When you say the distributor does not spin, what does that mean? - I had a hypothesis that if the timing chain was broken, the distributor might turn while the crankshaft was stationary. But neither will turn.

One last question, where did you pour the transmission fluid into? - Into the same long tube where the dipstick goes.

OK, one more, is there any external fluid leakage or residue? - I might have seen a drop of oil hanging from something under the engine, but not a waterfall. Sorry that's not very specific.
Thanks for taking an interest! Answers above.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #33

Yup, the starter motor was the first thing I had pulled off. It's fine.

The torque converter has not been pulled off yet, but I'm curious about that too. It seems like it's hard to get to without unbolting the entire transmission or engine.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #34

k2orbust: Curiosity is your strongest asset at this point. Problem is that the transmission mounts are, in effect the rear motor mounts. So wherever the transmission comes out, the vehicle stays, while waiting for a new motor/transmission etc. So, in my opinion, you are looking at a decision tree you need to strategize before you start climbing by pulling the transmission.

If you remove it and are not ready willing and able to pay for a motor/transmission or whatever is necessary, storage fees will build up at the shop, and they could end up owning your van.

When fuel tank delaminated/and injectors failed in my van, I chose to have it towed to my home where I could investigate it and work on it when I had the time and money.

Weigh what Bajasportsmobile and knowledgeable others who have no financial interest in the process say with and against those who have a financial interest. And ask every "stupid" question you have of both. And in short time you will have the necessary knowledge and the way forward will be obvious. You are on the right track by posting here and over at ford-trucks.com

Maybe Bajasportsmobile has a suggestion on how to tow the vehicle once the transmission is removed. If not, move slowly and be ready willing and able to do the climb on whatever branch of the decision tree you find yourself on.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #35

Quote:
The torque converter has not been pulled off yet, but I'm curious about that too. It seems like it's hard to get to without unbolting the entire transmission or engine.
Typically the transmission does not need to be removed to disconnect the torque converter.

There are four 3/8" studs on the torque converter that extend through the flex plate (fly wheel) and fasten to it with nuts. Those nuts can be removed and the torque converter slid back into the transmission enough so the the flex plate can be rotated by using a large screwdriver and prying against the starter ring teeth on the flex plate.

Your problem is that you need to rotate the flex plate to get to all the nuts, so the transmission will need to be slid back leaving the torque converter attached to the flex plate but not engaged with the pump.

If it is the transmission that is at fault it would be the pump that is locked up.

This is indeed a strange situation.

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 02-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #36

Let me paraphrase to see if I get what you are saying.
  • If the flex plate can be rotated, I can access all the nuts and unbolt the torque converter.[/*:m:1u0kc6r7]
  • Because the crankshaft is locked up, though, this isn't possible.[/*:m:1u0kc6r7]
  • Instead, I could unbolt the transmission and slide it toward the back wheels to separate the torque converter from the pump.[/*:m:1u0kc6r7]
  • Then I could see if the thing that is locked up is on the motor side or the transmission side.[/*:m:1u0kc6r7]
Old 02-04-2015, 06:32 PM   #37

Quote:
Let me paraphrase to see if I get what you are saying.
  • If the flex plate can be rotated, I can access all the nuts and unbolt the torque converter.[/*:m:zjldi4v5]
  • Because the crankshaft is locked up, though, this isn't possible.[/*:m:zjldi4v5]
  • Instead, I could unbolt the transmission and slide it toward the back wheels to separate the torque converter from the pump.[/*:m:zjldi4v5]
  • Then I could see if the thing that is locked up is on the motor side or the transmission side.[/*:m:zjldi4v5]
That is correct.

I just talked to our transmission builder though and he really doubts that is is the pump or even the transmission - not much possibility in his words.

Were all the spark plugs pulled so there would be no compression when trying to rotate the crank?

If you need a rebuild, I have a guys that builds some of our race motors. He is VERY cost effective.

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 02-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #38

For those of us with the same 5.8L motor, this was posted in k2orbust's thread on Ford-Trucks.com

"I have the same motor and the same thing happened to me. Slowed down to pull of highway and the engine quit. Couldn't start it after that. The problem was the retainers came off a valve. It went into the cylinder and the piston jammed it up into the water jacket in the head with the stem still in the guide. I'd have the valve covers pulled first to see if that maybe is the problem."

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...l#post15065508
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 PM   #39

The poster's experience certainly seems to match mine, so I will be investigating the possibility of a valve falling into a cylinder.. It looks like maybe the valve covers will come off without pulling the engine, too. I've attached some pictures of the motor with spark plugs out and the flex plate with no broken teeth.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150206_094347.jpg   IMG_20150206_094905.jpg   IMG_20150206_095430.jpg  
Old 02-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #40

With the spark plugs out, you could use an inspection camera to look in the cylinders for damage.

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...era-67979.html

Were any of the spark plugs damaged or oil soaked?

Using a pry tool on the starter ring gear, you cannot get it to move at all?

AgileOffRoad.com