Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
It's definitely worth figuring out your van's actual weight for starters.

Is your van already complete? Or are you just beginning to "build out" a van from a cargo or passenger EB? In either case.... get your van to some sort of scales and get some baseline weight numbers. You're going to want to learn what your total weight is for a variety of technical reasons (setting proper tire pressure!) anyway. And it's important to khow the weight distribution --- how much of the total weight is over each axle, front/rear, as well.

(If you're unsure where to get your van weighed in your area, look up locations of "CAT scales" for one option to do this.)

Other factors will definitely come into play as you choose shocks. (For instance.... what size tires are you planning to run?) I have no personal experience driving them, but the longer-rear-overhang EB models like you have are known for more "tail wagging" behavior (especially when heavily/unevenly loaded) and I imagine that a firmer shock might be more desirable for the rear axle of one of those vans.

At the end of the day:
Every Econoline (and Dodge....and Chevy....and....?) on this forum is built and loaded uniquely. And each owner/driver has unique goals for the handling/capability/load carry capacity/ride quality/stability of their rigs. Thus, each van ultimately will benefit from a slightly-unique combination of tire selection (make/model and size), tire pressure choice (front/rear), shock choices, front/rear spring selection....and also possible front/rear swaybars selection. (Ha! Now I've really thrown another item for you to chew on!)

Don't let all that get you too hung up at the moment though. My bottom line advice for you would still be "get your rig weighed right away."

The heavier (and the longer, i.e. EB) the build....the more shock (HD vs. Comfort vs mushy OEM) you're gonna want.

As a great reference:
Somewhere on this forum is a really neat thread, if I recall, where a lot of people have listed the weights of their personal rigs (along with the specifics of their builds.)

Hey, so I finally got the van weighed. Looks to be just about 600lb more than yours, surprisingly.

1992 Ford E250 2WD Sportsmobile EB42
Gas 7/8ths (of I think 32-34gal).
Water tank (16gal) almost full.
Propane tank under half.
Fully loaded with food, tools, clothes, devices, etc.
1 person, ~140lb.

Front axle: 3160lb
Rear axle: 4520lb
Total: 7680lb

I guess this means I'll go for the Bilstein comfort shocks!

P.S. How do I figure out my exact Sportsmobile plan (ex. EB50)?

Flyview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyview View Post
Hey, so I finally got the van weighed. Looks to be just about 600lb more than yours, surprisingly.

1992 Ford E250 EB 2WD Sportsmobile
Gas 7/8ths (of I think 32-34gal).
Water tank (16gal) almost full.
Propane tank under half.
Fully loaded with food, tools, clothes, devices, etc.
1 person, ~140lb.

Front axle: 3160lb
Rear axle: 4520lb
Total: 7680lb

I guess this means I'll go for the Bilstein comfort shocks!
Hey, some new thoughts relative to your choice of shock. (And some of this comes out of recent discussion (and comparison) of various vans' weights Front vs. Rear, particularly when looking at EB vs. RB vans.

Even though you're only 600 pounds heavier than mine....I think I might try to sway you towards going with HD shocks.

Bear with me:

Since you've got such a large percentage of your van's weight is located over the rear axle --- and since, as a result of that distribution, you've actually got *less* weight over your front axle than my RB van does --- it might make sense to consider the HD shocks.

Not only do you have 1,000 more pounds acting over your rear axle than my RB van does......you've got more of a "teeter totter" effect that acts somewhat upon your *front* suspension as well -- since all that leveraged-out-over-the-rear-end weight is acting with the rear tire as the "fulcrum" for your van over bumps. There's way more "up/down" force in the front created by the rear bouncing up/down over things.

Anyone else with similar weights on an EB care to chime in?
These are my current thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyview View Post
P.S. How do I figure out my exact Sportsmobile plan (ex. EB50)?
Your plan will most likely be shown on this page of various EB layouts.
Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - Extended Body Standard Plans
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Hey, some new thoughts relative to your choice of shock. (And some of this comes out of recent discussion (and comparison) of various vans' weights Front vs. Rear, particularly when looking at EB vs. RB vans.

Even though you're only 600 pounds heavier than mine....I think I might try to sway you towards going with HD shocks.

Bear with me:

Since you've got such a large percentage of your van's weight is located over the rear axle --- and since, as a result of that distribution, you've actually got *less* weight over your front axle than my RB van does --- it might make sense to consider the HD shocks.

Not only do you have 1,000 more pounds acting over your rear axle than my RB van does......you've got more of a "teeter totter" effect that acts somewhat upon your *front* suspension as well -- since all that leveraged-out-over-the-rear-end weight is acting with the rear tire as the "fulcrum" for your van over bumps. There's way more "up/down" force in the front created by the rear bouncing up/down over things.

Anyone else with similar weights on an EB care to chime in?
These are my current thoughts.

Your plan will most likely be shown on this page of various EB layouts.
Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - Extended Body Standard Plans
Hmm interesting. Good thing I didn't hit order yet! Yes, anyone else please chime in! Which floor plan do you have?

Yea I've seen those layouts before. The one that comes closest is EB42, but the stove is right by the door, and then the sink. Looks like I'm missing the table for the gaucho couch. Where might I source it? Is that what's supposed to go into this big hole in the floor with a black cap?
Old 01-13-2017, 04:42 AM   #34

new shocks for 2WD E250

The table is usually just a metal pole that goes into the hole, which mates to a female fitting that is screwed to a tabletop. The poles and fitting are standard RV stuff and can probably be sourced in Amazon, Campingworld, etc. I remade my tabletop out of 3/4" oak plywood and added a Formica top to it.

Here's an example of the leg and top fitting that goes on the underside of the tabletop (at least, this is what my SMB is set up with): http://www.rvpartscountry.com/RV-PED...LEG-31-12.html
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
The table is usually just a metal pole that goes into the hole, which mates to a female fitting that is screwed to a tabletop. The poles and fitting are standard RV stuff and can probably be sourced in Amazon, Campingworld, etc. I remade my tabletop out of 3/4" oak plywood and added a Formica top to it.

Here's an example of the leg and top fitting that goes on the underside of the tabletop (at least, this is what my SMB is set up with): RV PEDESTAL TABLE LEG, 31-1/2"
Cool thanks. The hole in the metal baseplate in the floor is about 1.5" in diameter. Where do you store it when not in use? Sorry for going off topic, I need to decide which shocks to order today!
Old 01-13-2017, 11:45 PM   #36

Damn glad I decided to do some more investigating! I ordered the HD's earlier this evening after only reading a couple posts. Just emailed eshocks to switch to the comfort model.
Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:00 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchkiss View Post
Damn glad I decided to do some more investigating! I ordered the HD's earlier this evening after only reading a couple posts. Just emailed eshocks to switch to the comfort model.
Specs on your van? I'm still undecided!
Old 01-14-2017, 12:24 AM   #38

2006 E-250 RB, soon to have 24" bubble top. Pretty minimalist build, couldn't be much more than 6000 pounds.
Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #39

Well I just ordered the Bilstein Comfort shocks from eshocks.com (part no. below). I didn't want to risk the ride being too stiff. I'm sure these will be a million times better than the likely original stock rear shocks. You guys have all weekend to change my mind!

Front: 33-187563
Rear: 33-176840

P.S. Anyone wanna help me put these in? :P
P.S.S. Why is this thread under engines and drivetrains?
Old 10-31-2019, 09:44 AM   #40

Bringing it back from the dead.. So how did the shocks work out??