Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #11

Re: New Smoke

OK, got my van in a few days early for a "full diagnostic". Basically, they say there's nothing wrong. All readings within spec. The cylinder contribution test said all is good. The little oil in the turbo lines is normal. Before I took it in, I noticed that the exhaust manifolds to heads had an exhaust leak. Was told not a critical problem but that can cause some boost degradation, minor power loss and a bit shaved off mileage. Back in '07 Ford didn't use gaskets there, but they have them now. I guess I'll put those on and see what happens. They couldn't really hear the turbo whine, but say some do and some don't. All boost in specs, so seems silly to pull the turbo to replace or clean.

I did remove the EGR valve and it just had minor soot on it and opened and closed fine. I just cleaned it, installed new O rings and gasket and slapped it back on. Did the fuel filters too.

I still can't figure out why I'm getting black exhaust smoke when pulling off the line. The more power, the more smoke. Never used to do that and I'd sure like to find a cure. Gotta be not enough air and/or too much fuel. Air intake system is clean and full stock. Too much fuel? Injectors checked OK. Been using Opti-Lube in the fuel for several years. Maybe that's smoking? It shouldn't.
What's a mother to do???

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #12

Garage

Do you have an EGT Gauge installed? If yes, can you see any difference? More diesel or exhaust leak should make the EGT raise...
Old 07-15-2014, 07:35 PM   #13
Site Team

Recent change from winter blend diesel, to Summer blend?
Old 07-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #14

No EGT gauge, so can't check that.
A change in fuel quality is a possibility, but it hasn't happened in years past. My fuel purchases have been mostly in eastern California and central Nevada to Utah.
I'm hoping the exhaust leak fix will help.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 07-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #15

I had this problem with a CAC tube leak (self induced). Anytime a CAC tube is touched, it has to be cleaned and a small amount of RTV sealant used. Pay attention to the the clamping pressure. Too much or too little can cause a problem. Barry
lonepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Interesting. I'll have to check this out as mine is doing the same after the shop did a major job that probably included removing the tube.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #17

Well, got my rig back from the shop. Got gaskets under the exhaust manifolds, flushed the cooling system and put on all new turbo related hoses. The old hoses were starting get soft, crack and leak a bit.

Still have the smoke on hard acceleration though. Can't figure out the problem. I'll just have to live with it until someone smarter then me comes up with a flash of brilliance.

Thanks for the input on this everyone, at least it got me going on doing some serious looking and correcting a few things before they became a major problem.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 08-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #18

Well, I thot I'd post the continuing saga of my smoke on acceleration. Took off a couple of weeks ago and spent a few days leading a group on the Applegate emigrant trail across Nevada. When we were in the middle of nowhere, the smoke got much worse very fast. No way I could get a tow from where I was so I babied it out about fifty miles to where a tow rig could get to me.

By the time I was out, you couldn't believe the amount of smoke I was putting out. Absolutely unreal.

Got a tow into Reno and there's no compression in #2 and that cylinder got really hot. Melted off the injector and glow plug. Top of piston looks like the surface of the moon. Bottom line, got a crate motor coming from Ford. This will not be cheap. Will put extra sealant at the bed plate, swap in my Bullet Proof EGR cooler, new radiator, hoses, etc. Might as well while the motor is on the floor.

Anyone have any thots on swapping the head bolts for the non-stretching studs? There's another $800 and I haven't heard of any stock vans stretching the head bolts. But, sure don't want to have it happen later. No plans on chipping the rig, I'm fine with the power it has. Actually, pretty much the only problems I've had are injectors.

Is there any way of telling which injector is not working properly? I think the cylinder contribution test only checks the electrical end of things. An injector can have other problems.

Bottom line, pay attention to ones gut feelings and if something doesn't seem right, it probably isn't. Live and learn? Not me, I live, but never learn....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 08-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #19

Garage

Sorry to hear that. How many miles on the engine when it failed?
Old 08-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #20
Site Team

Also very sorry to hear about that.

Please be sure to give us any sort of postmortem if you get any info. Sounds like a stuck wide-open injector.

Herb