Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2021, 02:22 PM   #1

Newbie with axle upgrade question

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a 2002 E350 SMB with 7.3 diesel and Quigley 4x4 conversion. The van was a one owner rig with very low miles. Overall it's in great shape and has been well maintained. I've spent the past year or so reconfiguring the interior to meet our needs and am now looking at doing some upgrades to the drivetrain.

I've been reading some of the threads discussing failures of semi-floaters and want to upgrade the rear axle from a semi-floater to a full-floater. Currently the van has a Dana 60HD semi-floater with 35 spline axles and disk brakes (Dana BOM 606023-2). The axle has 3.55 gears which are great for cruising the highway on flat ground but are terrible for climbing the hills here in Northern California.

While at a local wrecking yard this weekend I found a 2000 E350 with a full floating Dana 60,32 spline axles and disk brakes for $250. (BOM 606522-1) It also has 3.55 gears. While this isn't my ultimate desired gear ratio, for $250 it seems like a good deal and it does make it compatible with my current front axle. I was thinking I could use it as is for now and I can re-gear both axles once I save up some $$$.

I think this swap should be pretty much plug and play but I was hoping someone out there could answer a couple of questions before I pull the trigger.

1: would my disks and calipers from my current Semi floating axle work on the FF? My brakes were just done so I'd like to re-use what I have if possible.

2: I'm assuming the 8 lug bolt pattern is the same from 2000 to 2002? (Didn't have a tape measure with me to double check)

Anything else I should check or know before diving into this project?

Thanks for any input or advice!

RVRRNNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #2

Yup. Correct on all counts. Brake setup is shared. Those years are fully compatible. Bolt pattern is the same.

If you have time to keep looking, some '99-'00 wagons were built with the Dana 70 housing, but had a hybrid carrier and the smaller D60 gears. But a simple carrier swap brought it up to full D70 spec. My van came with one of those axles. I don't know if the BOM has the housing indicated, but it did have the D702U stamp on the center casting. I was never able to read my axle tag (bought the van from Enterprise with 100k+ on it).