Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2015, 11:01 PM   #11

Re: Noise when AC is on at 3500rpm-4500rpm?

Brent There is only one way to determine if you have exactly the correct amount of freon in the system, and that's to totally evaucate the system, and then refill with the proper amount. There is a chart that will determine what the pressure in the system should be based on the ambiant temp, but it's not as accurate as installing the proper amount after pulling a vaccum on it. I would be very cautious about letting someone just remove freon in hopes it helps. You would probably do better to find a shop that really knows airconditioning. I'd guess it's more likely to be the bearings in the compressor....................

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #12

I believe AC is one of their main lines of work but I will triple check now before they do the work. They put a whole new system in last year. I have been reading a few Google articles since this last post and it all makes more sense now. I'll make sure they follow the total evac procedure. Could a bearing failure be from to much freon in the system?

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:27 PM   #13

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

They know what they are doing.

In CA you can't just "let some out" and cannot work on AC systems without a license and appropriate equipment. The system they will use will completely evacuate your AC system (recovering all the Freon) and pull a vacuum on it and hold it for a period of time to check for leakage. Then it will pump in the exact specified volume of Freon for your system back in. It is all automated and controlled by the machine and you should only be charged for any additional Freon needed beyond what was recovered and reused.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #14

Good to know Ramsey. They may have been simplifying it for me or I misinterpreted what they were saying.......I'm not the sharpest animal on the range as you know..... Hopefully it will be fixed next week.

I am taking your Bronco when I go back there.....

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 07-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #15

One thing I was not excited about was he stated he may need to let some out which would reduce the cooling capacity. It barely cools as it is.

If this is the same shop that installed the system to begin with, and it "barely cools" I'd begin to wonder. Getting a license to work on refigeration is not difficult at all, and it doesn't insure that the tech has good trouble shooting skills, only that he knows how to capture and recycle freon and how avoid releasing ODC's (ozone depleting compounds). Still, assuming they do find there is too much, and it solves the noise issue, the lack of cooling could be due to the coolant that circulates through the heater core. Scroll down to the bottom of this thread to see how I jury rigged a solution when I had that same problem. It made a major improvement and lowered the vent discharge temp probably 20 deg's.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewto ... 7&start=15[/url]

By the way, any plans to go to the 1000 in November? It would be fun to get a group together. ........A/T
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #16

The E-vans are frequently mis-filled when doing A/C work. Mine got shorted on oil when I had one of the lines replaced. The systems always list one spec in the procedure, with an asterix for the "other" spec. One being wagons (or cargo vans with rear a/c) and one spec for front-only A/C. Its an easy mistake to make.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #17

Loving the continuous tips/advice!! Helps me better understand what is going on and what to expect....

Also like the vice grip tip!!

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 07-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #18

On my V-10 powered Chinook RV, I had a reoccurring problem with serpentine belt noise (mine was a sequel type noise under load). I would replace belt & tensioner but noise would return after 5 thousand miles or so.

My fix was to add a second idler pulley in the location where the optional second alternator would be mounted. Went to my local Ford dealer and bought the pulley and bolt. There is a long throw in the belt at that location and the new pulley puts just enough tension to keep the belt from slapping around under load...no more problems.

It seems there should have been a pulley there in the first place, not sure if others have it or not??
robtbritn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #19

In the four years I've owned my 98 5.4 SMB, I've lost track of how many belts I've put on it to remedy squeal and/or chatter. I've replaced all the pulleys and the tensioner. Have tried OEM Motorcraft and various aftermarket belts. Everything seems aligned. The chatter is not bad, really, but I'm so attuned to it that it makes me crazy.

Before this last trip (~9,000 miles) I put on a Goodyear "Gatorback" belt (now under the Continental brand, see http://www.thequietbelt.com), which doesn't use ribs but instead a checkered pattern on the drive side. Lots of posts on the web from other 5.4 owners rave about. So far I haven't had any noise at all from it, so I'm hoping this may be the solution. It's not much more expensive than other belts, either.

On a positive note, I'm VERY good and fast at replacing the belt on my van now! :-)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #20

Another thought too...

If the A/C system was not 100% capped and sealed while they did work, it doesn't take long for the drier to become saturated, just from normal atmosphere. At this point it has to be replaced. A saturated drier will also cause the same symptoms. A new one from RockAuto is only $30, so it might be worth just having it swapped when the do the evac and recharge.