Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 05:59 AM   #21
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Noise when AC is on at 3500rpm-4500rpm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Another thought too...

If the A/C system was not 100% capped and sealed while they did work, it doesn't take long for the drier to become saturated, just from normal atmosphere. At this point it has to be replaced. A saturated drier will also cause the same symptoms. A new one from RockAuto is only $30, so it might be worth just having it swapped when the do the evac and recharge.
This touches on another very, very important aspect of A/C; proper evacuation whenever the system is opened.

For those not familiar with the A/C cycle in general moisture in the form of humidity can and does creep into an opened system, the longer its open the more moisture accumulates. Without delving too deeply into the physics of A/C moisture reduces the system's ability to cool---even what we might consider "just a little bit......" has an effect---we're dealing with microns of mercury pressure which is almost microscopic to the A/C system.

As CarringB suggests if the very device intended to absorb trapped moisture in the sealed and charged system if left open it WILL trap moisture. By the process of evacuation or drawing a deep vacuum over a sufficient time trapped moisture will "boil off" until in theory its all gone.

As an example once upon a time I built huge A/C systems, 22 tons---enough to turn most 2,000 sq/ft homes into freezers. On occasion we'd encounter a stubborn system that would require 24 hours of vacuum. Mind you our equipment was almost laboratory-like precise and commercial refrigeration-grade quality---a far, far cry from the typical automotive A/C service equipment.

While I've read and listened to many who say evacuation isn't as important as claimed I ignore them while also making note they'll never be the ones working on my A/C system, home or auto/truck.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #22

Hopefully I will know more on Tuesday when I pick it up.......thanks all for the continued info....

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #23
Site Team

Garage

Brent, you only have a stock Ford A/C system on board? Interesting to see what you find.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:20 AM   #24

so what did you find?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:09 AM   #25

Unfortunately it's still not fixed. I dropped it off while I was gone in Africa hoping to have it fixed and no dice. They replaced a bunch things and the noise is still there. I missed the tech that actually worked on the van when It was picked up to ask him directly. I had a brief conversation with the owner of the shop yesterday and he stated they were going to replace the compressor next.

The whole system was replaced last year but with aftermarket parts. I asked if that could be one of the issues and he stated no and that the warranty on these parts was actually better than factory.

I really have not had a chance to talk with them at length so I am sure I am
missing some details.

Either way it's disappointing that it been in the shop 5 times for AC related issues but that seems to be the norm for these vans when repairs are needed.....

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
Old 09-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #26
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom

The whole system was replaced last year but with aftermarket parts. I asked if that could be one of the issues and he stated no and that the warranty on these parts was actually better than factory.

Either way it's disappointing that it been in the shop 5 times for AC related issues but that seems to be the norm for these vans when repairs are needed.....
Just thinking out loud here...........

Good replacement parts should not cause nor affect this described noise. Warranty-schwarranty defective parts might be the cause but because it's existed before and after the repairs we kinda have to rule out the A/C parts being an issue. Naturally that doesn't include the existing compressor if its original to the van and has more than average hourly/mileage use.

If the compressor is next up to be replaced and the problem is fixed that's great--but what if it doesn't? At this point I'm wondering if some other mechanical part isn't being affected by the compressor's engaging, the resultant noise caused by that event but not originating from the compressor or tensioner?

I know my own E250's with A/C systems in top operating condition do "growl" a bit when in use, a bit louder and noticeable over normal engine and highway noise. When/if the blower motor is set to high the alternator adds to the engine noise because its under a heavier load, the rotating mass somewhat stressed due the higher demand---btw that is 100% normal with most alternators, not a huge concern assuming volt/amp output isn't diminished.

An E-Series A/C system is no more complex than any other vehicle on the road---a good shop paying attention to its specs etc should be able to make repairs without repeated trips to fix something else after the fact.

Hate to see this relative "easy fix" being such an aggravation-------sadly most of us haven't faced something recurring to this degree with A/C. Hoping for the best, one more issue resolved for low dollars.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #27

Perhaps it's time to find another shop? That aside, are you going to the 1000?...
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #28

Brent: Have you confirmed that it's not serpentine belt resonance? If anyone can get a go pro under the hood, it's you.......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #29

I have not Wonder and probably will next. I just keep thinking that people who do this for a living could diagnose, find, and fix it. Strange thought right??

Drove Tien's 2008 V10 last night and his dose not make that noise. Not sure if the stock parts are the same between the two years or not.

Arctic, holding on finding another shop as all the work thus far has been under warranty and they have been great about continuing to try to figure it out.

Jwa, I only starting noticing the noise after the new AC system was put in.....

2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)