Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #1

Oil Change for 6.0 PSD with Amsoil Bypass

I'm about to change the oil in my 6.0 PSD with the Amsoil bypass system for the first time. I'm assuming it's just like a normal oil change but with an extra filter to swap out, is that accurate? Does the amount of oil or type of oil needed change due the bypass system?

Also, does anyone have the part numbers for the correct filters handy? I have a 2010 if that matters.

crawpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Here's an old thread that may help:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...cess-6088.html

I narrowly avoided a catastrophe one time when as I removed one of the filters, the rubber gasket remained behind on the oil filter housing. I didn't notice until I was attaching the new filter and things didn't seem right. Could have been really ugly as I doubt it would have sealed well at all with two gaskets in place.

herb
Old 08-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #3

Very helpful. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #4

Looking at the amsoil site I'm thinking I may be a bit premature in changing the oil. Since the filters and oil were last changed (with amsoil products) it's been about 6,000 miles. Now I'm thinking I might just send in a sample for analysis. How often are others changing the oil and filters?
Old 08-18-2018, 04:04 PM   #5

Garage
I have it done about every 3,000-3,500 miles - probably not the example most feel compelled to use as a benchmark.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:14 PM   #6

I have a 2006, 6.0PS. I put Amsoil and Bypass filter in at very first oil change. For the first 100,000 miles, this was my routine. After 15,000 I would just change both filters and add how ever much oil needed to get back to full. I was told by my Amsoil dealer that I could do this indefinitely as long as I had the oil analyzed and it checked out. But I felt like that would be really pushing it. So at the next 15,000 I would change all fluid and filters. And next 15k, just filters again and so on.
After I hit 100,000 I started to change all fluid and filters every 10,000. Not for any particular reason, everything still looked and ran good, just being a bit more on the safe side.
I use the 15W-40 Premium Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine oil and the BP100 Bypass filter. For the regular filter I'm using a Wix 51411. I had some troubles with the Donaldson P553411 filters that I was getting from Amsoil early on.
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwintersteller View Post
I have a 2006, 6.0PS. I put Amsoil and Bypass filter in at very first oil change. For the first 100,000 miles, this was my routine. After 15,000 I would just change both filters and add how ever much oil needed to get back to full. I was told by my Amsoil dealer that I could do this indefinitely as long as I had the oil analyzed and it checked out. But I felt like that would be really pushing it. So at the next 15,000 I would change all fluid and filters. And next 15k, just filters again and so on.
After I hit 100,000 I started to change all fluid and filters every 10,000. Not for any particular reason, everything still looked and ran good, just being a bit more on the safe side.
I use the 15W-40 Premium Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine oil and the BP100 Bypass filter. For the regular filter I'm using a Wix 51411. I had some troubles with the Donaldson P553411 filters that I was getting from Amsoil early on.
With those intervals, have you had any injector issues so far?
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:36 PM   #8

Still running all the original injectors. About 3 years ago we had a oil pressure regulator and sensor go out but that's the only thing that has gone bad on us so far. We have 138,000 miles on it.
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Here's an old thread that may help:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...cess-6088.html

I narrowly avoided a catastrophe one time when as I removed one of the filters, the rubber gasket remained behind on the oil filter housing. I didn't notice until I was attaching the new filter and things didn't seem right. Could have been really ugly as I doubt it would have sealed well at all with two gaskets in place.

herb
Ha! I narrowly avoided avoiding the two filter catastrophe! Everything seemed good till the oil pressure came up. Then Pop! Good news is that a significant fraction of the undercarriage won't need rustproofing for the next few months!
dcleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage
On my first couple thousand miles I did a full oil and filter change using Ford oil but AMSOIL filters. After that I changed according to the Ford warranty program or earlier (generally about 3K). I ran Motorcraft oil up until about 20K miles. I sent a oil sample off to Blackstone labs and the sample came back showing a problem possibly an injector failing. Unfortunately Ford refused to take the labs results as a problem and sure enough a few weeks later the injector went south. after Ford made the repair I did another oil test and it came back OK. Then I used AMSOIL engine cleaner and switched to their oil. No more injector issues since. Today I usually replace both filters and oil at +/-7K miles.

Way back when the warranty was up, I did do a 12,000 mile test run then sent the oil off to the lab and it came back good. I just feel that it's a good idea not to run extended miles...JMO. I've also been using Archoil sticktion additive for a while now. The engine was pulled apart at 92K for bullet proofing and the shop said it looked brand new.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote