Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #1

Oil Filler Tube Breakage/Loose

Hey gang,

I was at the shop today getting some routine maint done (Oil change, New Brakes, New fuel filters, etc) and the guys at the shop realized that the oil filler tube in my van had come disconnected from its moorings. We're trying to see how it "connects" to see if it truly broke or just came unconnected from the engine but I thought I would pass it along in case anyone wants to go jiggle there's around a bit to make sure its still attached.

It was relatively easy to notice if you just played around with the filler tube and notice that its loose. They normally have a little "play" in them but it shouldn't feel like you can rattle it loose.

The "connection" point is accessible through the doghouse (passenger side) and its a little fitting.

Trying to figure it out and I'll update when we truly find out the situation but thought I would pass it along.

DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #2

Mine wore a hole in an AC line. Stupid filler tube...
Old 10-22-2008, 07:53 PM   #3

Well, its a bad news and potentially worse news situation. The fitting that goes into the valve cover is a plastic little item that's got a pipe collar on it and the mechanic was able to remove it, clean it and see where it has obvious wear and tear. It's a $6 part and relatively easy to replace.

However, it is altogether possible that the valve cover is jacked and we all know where that leads to. Engine drop, etc.

So, I am going to order the part, replace it and hope that it slots into its little place nice and firm and this was just a little washboard road hiccup.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Bryan,

Was it at least covered under the engine warranty?

Herb
Old 10-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #5

Ford dealership is going to be the next stop. I'm at 35K miles so I'm right on the edge of the warranty so I want to make sure it gets reported in case its worse than just the $6 part replacement. We'll see but everytime I roll into the Ford service drive the guys grab their heart, stumble around and start talking like Fred Sanford about warranty breach etc. etc. So we'll see.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
I just took my rig to a friend (Joe) who has a shop in Merced. He wasn't thrilled to work on it but replaced the Alternator for me. I had Ford add a 200 amp model last year and it never put out the correct voltage. Well I finally got it to Joe where he did the alternator, new AMSOIL, a lube job and a few odds and ends. He was amazed that ford had left several bolts and brackets off the alternator. He said the brackets were not needed for street use but he knows what I do with it and where I go and put them back on...stupid Ford

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #7

Unbeliveable. The service manager at the Ford dealership I think is retarded. I actually think he's mentally challenged. Not to mention that I had an appointment, took off a half day of work to go in there and they told me they couldn't work on it. So that pissed me off, I showed him the problem (took off the doghouse and pointed at it) and he wouldn't write it up in case anything goes wrong in the future. Ridiculous.

So, I walked into the parts dept., ordered the part, will pick it up tomorrow and replace the flippin' thing in my driveway.

Seriously, I can honestly say that I'm glad I'm going off the warranty in 2k miles because with the support Ford puts on their products makes it too hard to even bother.

If the new part doesn't look right, I'm marching right back in there though and I do not intend on leaving without someone looking at it.

Its crazy how bad the Ford dealers around here are.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanlaws
Unbeliveable. The service manager at the Ford dealership I think is retarded. I actually think he's mentally challenged. Not to mention that I had an appointment, took off a half day of work to go in there and they told me they couldn't work on it. So that pissed me off, I showed him the problem (took off the doghouse and pointed at it) and he wouldn't write it up in case anything goes wrong in the future. Ridiculous.

So, I walked into the parts dept., ordered the part, will pick it up tomorrow and replace the flippin' thing in my driveway.

Seriously, I can honestly say that I'm glad I'm going off the warranty in 2k miles because with the support Ford puts on their products makes it too hard to even bother.

If the new part doesn't look right, I'm marching right back in there though and I do not intend on leaving without someone looking at it.

Its crazy how bad the Ford dealers around here are.
If for no other reasons than spite, and to maybe prevent the same thing happening to someone else, contact the district service manager (if that's what they're called) and report the issue, and the Ford dealership's refusal to document the issue.

Herb
Old 10-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #9

Well, now that I got the new part and confirmed that it is without question a problem with the valve cover. (Insert appropriate string of explitives here)

I am going to have to take it in. Which obviously means an engine drop.

Man I can't tell you how pissed I am. This is how things go bad.....
Old 10-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanlaws
Well, now that I got the new part and confirmed that it is without question a problem with the valve cover. (Insert appropriate string of explitives here)

I am going to have to take it in. Which obviously means an engine drop.

Man I can't tell you how pissed I am. This is how things go bad.....
As a small piece of insurance for yourself, though it may do no good, take a picture of your part receipt next to your odometer reading on your gauge cluster. Might be some evidence the problem happened before 36,000 miles.

That and start documenting dates, names, what the service dept tells you,...Better to start a paper trail now than after things get really stupid.

Herb