Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #1

Oil Leak?

I have a small and annoying leak of what I assume to be oil. This is happening on front driver side as shown by the pictures below. I have no clue what the item is in the pictures but it is definitely where the leak is coming from. I verified this when I changed the fuel filters today and had a bunch of the "stuff" removed to get to the filter under the hood. Looking down with a flash light, the leak is definitely confined to that area. It is not dripping from anywhere above or any place else. Of course it is impossible to get to it. It only drips a drop or two a day, like I said...annoying.

So, I guess I have several questions. First, any idea what this is in the pictures? Second, any suggestions on how to possibly fix it. Finally, how seriously should I treat this problem?

Thanks as always for any help, words of encouragement, pity, pointing out my lack of auto mechanic knowledge, etc .

Old 09-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Oil Leak?

About the same place my bed plate gasket was leaking. Not saying that's your problem.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #3

The drip is on your steering box. You need to test (smell?) the drop and decide what it is:

- Power steering fluid
- Engine oil
- Engine coolant/antifreeze
- Brake fluid

Each of those smells different. Compare against the reservoirs for each and decide what is leaking. That will give you a better idea of where the leak may be coming from.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Yep, I will say it was easy to see mine was oil...very black. Your drip looks much more clear.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #5

Ok, I'll guess power steering fluid from a fitting?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I'm feeling too clean to do the scratch & sniff SMB test this evening. I will get to it this week and let you know what I figure out, although I'm not sure if my schnoz will be up to the task.

When I had the bed plate leak, I was seeing the oil drip here.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #7

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

The damp component is the Steering Gear (Steering Box) but I doubt it is the Box leaking, most likely one of the hoses going to the box. If it were the pressure hose, there would be more fluid, so I would guess it is the return hose - it is common for them to weep as they age. (lj)windansea - just down the hill from home, '75 LJHS.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #8

Thanks BajaSportsmobile! Is there any way to verify that it is the return hose? Based on the location, I'm guessing it is going to be a real pain to fix it/replace it. Any idea on how serious of a problem this is and is there a reasonable way for me to fix this myself?

I'm in Ocean Beach. My first surfboard was 9'2" Wind N Sea longboard...hence the forum name.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #9

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Take it to a car wash and pressure wash off the area and hoses from top and bottom then look for new seepage - trace the hoses from the pump down.

Since you are in OB you could take it by my friend Gary Lumblad's shop, Blades Automotive, at 2750 Kurtz Street just off PCH. He is a trustworthy old school San Diego native and would be glad to take a look and let you know. He works on a lot of the Airport Parking Shuttle Vans (Ford E Series) so he will know what is up. Tell him Ramsey just bought one of these contraptions and sent you.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #10

Thanks for the suggestions and the recommendation, it is greatly appreciated. I have been looking for a good and trustworthy mechanic who knows the Ford diesel vans. I will post back once I have some more info.