Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot
Re: Oil Pan Weeping

After about 7,500 miles mine started accumulating oil in the same area. It got bad enough to start "marking its turf" on the driveway. Took it back to Sunset Ford (selling dealership) and they cleaned the exterior surfaces and put dye in the oil to see where it was leaking from. I was afraid it was the bed plate, but it turned out to be the rear main seal on the crankshaft. They had to drop the tranny, transfer case, and fuel tank - took about a week. I guess that's better than having to pull the engine, but still a lot of work.

No more leak and that area now stays completely dry and no oil film. Thank God it was under warranty!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #12

Rear main crankshaft seal leaks are a fairly common form of oil leak. Do you know if the Ford design uses a two piece seal or a one piece seal. The "newer" one piece seals are supposed to be more reliable.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

LenS - I don't know if the Ford rear main seal (RMS) is a one or two-piece design. I read on dieselstop.com that it has a seal and a wear ring. I've replaced enough old RMSs in old VWs (Type I, II, and III) back in my high school and college days - but I will definitely let a diesel type handle any major van repairs.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:02 AM   #14

I got my SMB back. Turns out it was the mainshaft seal. So far it is as dry as a bone under there. I will keep an eye on it to make sure it stays fixed.
Brent
Old 03-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #15

Thanks for the followup B&J. Was this covered under warranty? Did you have any problems with the dealership working on the SMB?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #16

Agree. I have seepage too, but so far have felt I can live with it, as I know the odds are very high something else down the road will be a problem after the engine has come out and been reinstalled.

" I also have a very slight seep, but I don't know if it's better to live with it, or have Ford fix it and risk screwing something else up with the tear-out and reinstallation. I'm leaning towards leaving it as-is."
Old 06-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #17

Well, I'm bringing this thread back from the dead (or at least the comatose). I finally brought our SMB (2007 E350 6.0 diesel). The dealership identified the problem as a leak from the rear main seal area. More specifically it is the rear main seal or the bed plate seal. In either case they have to pull the engine. It will take a week to a week and a half to fix. It is completely covered under the factory warranty. This seems to be the same exact problems that others have experienced,
Old 06-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

Since back in November I had an oil burning smell that the shop said was oil left over from the IPR valve repair but is has not stopped. It's not leaving anything on the ground yet but I plan to have it taken care of. I just am afraid of what a dealership can do to cause more problems. I'm thinking of the 50K birthday and have the wiring harness looked at as well.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote