Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2011, 02:11 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
On The Edge

Just a fun little tidbit of info for those using an Edge engine monitor/tuner on their 6.0. The IAT (intake air temp) gauge makes a nifty ambient air thermometer as long as you're moving continously as on the highway. Works pretty well. When slowed or stopped, it goes way up of course.

Also, it's something other than the m***********g oil temperature gauge to look at.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #2

Re: On The Edge

A Scangauge will do the same for less money.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #3

On The Edge

Not if I've already "overspent" on the Edge... ;-)
Old 06-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Just word of caution on the edge. I pulled mine out of my 7.3, after going haywire in the middle of a trail outside Moab (can't remember the name) and then everytime I drove it around town after the trip. I would have to pull over and shut down the engine to reset. The EGT's would spike to 3000, programer alarm would go off and put the engine in limp mode. Took it back to the local shop to take a look, they called up edge that claimed a bad temp probe. I was not convinced that was the issue, neither did the tech installing it and we pulled the whole thing. The main problem was that on the 7.3 there are so many harnesses from the edge plugged in, some of them very hard to access in the field, that I didn't want to take the chance of that happening again out in the middle of nowhere and not being serviceable. I am looking at doing a flash program in the future. I have a scanguage and plan on adding an EGT temp probe with a guage.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #5

I followed Badger's advice and have been quite happy with my Edge Insight engine monitor (they do have a newer model now that is easier to read) & its been in for over one year. I installed the EGT probe on the driver's side exhaust pipe just before the up pipe and my readings have been quite accurate.

Got a error code the other day and thought my turbo was going south (turbo under boost), but no loss of engine power was perplexing. The tech used the monitor to check the boost and determined it was a fluke and engine has been doing just fine ever since.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikine
Got a error code the other day and thought my turbo was going south (turbo under boost), but no loss of engine power was perplexing. The tech used the monitor to check the boost and determined it was a fluke and engine has been doing just fine ever since.
It will come back, I'm sure, it's a very common 6.0 issue. Your Turbo is getting dirty (soot) and needs to be cleaned. Happened to me, from the first time I got the turbo under boost code, reset and on my way, to the MIL light staying on and kept coming back every time I cleared it, was about 1k miles. Also no loss of power.
There is a Ford TSB out on this. Your tech should have known better.

It's an easy job on a E350, but a pain in the ass on a F350, one of the only easy fixes to the van.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #7

I also had my turbo rebuilt/replaced under warranty for the p0299 code with check engine light. The first time it came on was on a hard acceleration up an interstate on ramp. I stupidly cleared the CEL. I found in my research that it's triggered by boost under pressure as measured over 30 seconds.

I realized that the dealer may not take my complaint seriously without a lit CEL, so I began to attack on-ramps with a vengeance...petal to the floor. Eventually it came back on, and Larry Miller Ford in SLC fixed it without issue. I didn't notice any drivability or low power issues before it was fixed, and honestly can't say for sure now that the vehicle is any more powerful. Maybe a little.

If I were you, I'd hammer the pedal (once you're warmed up) until you get the CEL to come back on, then insist on a new turbo!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #8

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but thanks a bunch - I'm taking van in tomorrow with trouble light again. Happened exactly like you mentioned - punched it while on the on ramp to I-15 and got same error code, 0299. I'm gonna insist they replace the turbo, but failing that they gotta clean or rebuild it.

I did find the TSB, 08-16-13 that includes 2004-2008 E-350 and discusses how to clean the vanes, etc.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
Site Team

If Ford replaces it, there'd be a strong chance that it would be with a rebuilt turbo. Not necessarily a bad thing, but just something to consider. Would you want yours cleaned and rebuilt, or a rebuilt one installed?

Herb
Old 06-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #10

Geez, I guess if the local tech can clean & rebuild it that would be cool. Leaving next week for Haines, AK with just me and the dog (wife is going to fly up), hope the 6.0L is up to the task.