Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2021, 11:36 AM   #21

Fuel pump, theres also a fuel pump driver mounted on the drivers side frame rail. Change them out at the same time. The fuel pump driver housing is made of aluminum and is mounted to the steel frame. That causes galvanic corrosion between the frame and the fuel pump driver over time eventually causing it to stop working.

ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:39 AM   #22

Could also clean contacts on MAF switch per some research, just to make sure that is not an issue in the mix.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:29 PM   #23

Fuel pumps seem to have different failure modes, I've lost a couple. To know for sure you need to test the fuel pressure. I bought a cheap one at Harbor Freight that I carry at all times or you can usually borrow one from an auto parts store. It's a simple test by screwing it on to the schrader valve on the fuel rail. There are two pressure ranges specified for my 5.4, 28 to 45psi with the engine running and 35 to 45 with the key on, engine off. The V10 spec's may be different.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:41 PM   #24

Garage
After dealing with a similar issue in my van it finally ended up being the fuel pump that failed. When cold/ambient the pump would work fine but at temperature it wouldn't operate consistently. I chose to cut an access hole in the floor to swap it out so have the ability to do it on the trail if needed in the future (yes I carry a spare).

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Could also clean contacts on MAF switch per some research, just to make sure that is not an issue in the mix.
sounds good, always easy to check the easy stuff.

Thanks for all the quick responses folks! Sounds like I might need to bite the bullet and get a new fuel pump. I've researched that job and if I do that I'm going to drop the gas tank to get to the pump and swap it out. I have a insulated and finished floor in my build plus a kitchenette over where the fuel pump would be, no cutting through floor panels for me.

I'll check the fuel rail pressure as well, sounds simple enough and would help verify the issue.

For buying the part, is there an opinion here about Ford Motor Co OEM vs an aftermarket? I priced it out and the OEM is pushing near $500 where I saw I can pick up a delphi aftermarket fuel pump assembly for around $150 ish. I'm currently between jobs and every penny counts. I have seen rebuild kits out there but for the amount of work to drop the tank I'd rather put in a whole unit, maybe the aftermarket unit can be a middle ground?
Old 10-06-2021, 04:25 PM   #26

My preferred aftermarket pump is Denso. Toyota rarely has fuel pump issues, and I’ve never had an issue with a Denso that I’ve put in.

Stay away from Airtex
Old 10-06-2021, 04:32 PM   #27

Everyone does things their own way. Personally my rule is that if its a critical part thats going to leave me stranded, and its a big job to replace, i always buy OEM ford parts. I dont want to be left stranded and i dont want to do a huge job twice. Not saying other parts arent good, just not a gamble i take on big jobs.

My pump acted the same way, worked great on normal days, but when i pulled a slight hill on warm days it would start acting up. 90% of the time you would never know that the pump was failing unless it was warm outside and you went up a slight grade.

If it fails again im going to modify the extra fuel pump basket i have here and convert the system to an external electric pump.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 04:35 PM   #28

Trying to test the fuel line pressure here and lucky to have a 2008 that doesn't have the test port Schrader valve ... chiltons manual says to tee in between the fuel fill line and fuel rail - should that be done by pulling one of the black tubes off the the fuel rail as in this picture? (You can see two 1/2" black lines branching left and right in the center of the photo coming out of where the sensor is, also highlighted in another photo)
Attached Thumbnails
20211008_155538.jpg   20211008_163326.jpg  
Mr.Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:33 PM   #29

Alice has intermittent code P0191

So I have the exact same issue on the exact same model and year SMB. My mother purchased her 2008 E350 from the Fresno factory in Feb 2008. Unfortunately, she did not get the opportunity to use it much before illness took her from this world in 2014. She had named her SMB "Alice" as she fully intended to use it to transport her down the rabbit hole on a regular basis.

Instead, Alice has mostly sat idle out side all these years and after all the dust had settled from the settlement of my Mother's estate, I found myself with the title and have been driving it some since 2018 when I relocated to Central Utah.

It currently has 47K miles and has been well cared for; frequent oil changes and the like. About a year and a half ago, I experienced the same loss of power (and dramatically reduced speed) while going up a long grade near the top of Parley's canyon. The check engine light had come on and I got off the freeway and managed to limp into a Ford dealership. They were booked solid for weeks, but the service manager did take the time to come over and get the scan code and determined it was the P0191 "Fuel rail pressure sensor range/performance". He was somewhat familiar with SMB conversions and said it was likely the fuel filter or the module on top of the 40 gallon (Titan?) aftermarket gas tank.

After it had sat for a while she seemed to drive ok and I made it back home ~200 miles with no issues. Took it to my local Ford dealer and had them replace the fuel filter and air filter and clear the code. (The air filter was evidently pretty filthy.) It drove ok around locally, but the check engine light came on again during a trip to Colorado.

I took it to a recommended local mechanic that went through it a couple times. First time he replaced a sensor (not sure the part #) about the size of my middle finger and that seemed to help when I took another trip to SLC everything was going well for about 350 miles then I once again experienced the power loss and check engine light once more. (I drive this less than 1000 miles per year.)

I purchased one of these code reader devices and it always gives the same reading: P0191.

I am bringing it back to the local Ford dealership for another appointment tomorrow. I'm glad that I found this thread and it sounds like there may be a new fuel pump in Alice's future.

I'll report back how things turn out, but these intermittent rare occurances do not give me a warm fuzzy feeling!

Thanks for listening.
Jeff in Central Utah
ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 12:21 AM   #30

I had a code coming on that ended up being the "rollover valve" on the Transferflow tank. South Bay Car Care found it and changed it out for me and code went away. Sorry I don't recall the exact code.

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote