Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 01:46 PM   #1

Performance Aluminum radiator review for Ford 6.0.

It's been about 11,000 miles since I replaced my cracked Ford radiator with the all-aluminum Performance Radiator. I bought directly from one of their outlets in Washington and it was shipped from a warehouse in Reno. I was unable to find the radiator in the Bay Area.

I did a lot of searching online and heard that Performance supplies radiators for Bullet Proof Diesel. I called Bullet Proof Diesel and asked about an all aluminum radiator for the E350 van. The tech said they do not stock it and that I should contact Performance as they make the aluminum radiator for the diesel pick up trucks. Nice!

It's a nice looking radiator. Ford mechanic was skeptical because it's made in Thailand.

No leaks. The welding looks clean.

Shortly after replacing the radiator, my Ford thermostat was sticking. It was hard to get ECT over 180 degrees. I replaced it with the Mishimoto 200 degree thermostat.

I replaced the thermostat last week. ECT and EOT are tracking at 200 & 206 on an hour drive.

The radiator cost about $210 including shipping. The thermostat was about $55 on Amazon. I have a spare International thermostat and housing. I used the International housing.

After 2 failed Ford radiators in 2 vans, and 2 failed thermostats, I think I am good to go.

I am going on a 10,000-mile cross-country trip in May and will post radiator and thermostat results.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a decent radiator.

coolfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:02 PM   #2

Plug and play. I've got 40,000 miles on mine with no issues. I'm not sure that it actually results in better cooling but I'd rather not have plastic end tanks. Good to know it's working out for you.

Did you get your alternator woes settled?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Plug and play. I've got 40,000 miles on mine with no issues. I'm not sure that it actually results in better cooling but I'd rather not have plastic end tanks. Good to know it's working out for you.

Did you get your alternator woes settled?
I am not a fan of plastic radiator parts. This Performance radiator sure looks cool! But who cares. It's doing it's job.

I am bouncing back and forth on alternator replacement. The van has 808,000 miles and does not feel like it's going to bite the dust anytime soon.

I have a nice Ford rebuilt 140 amp alternator sitting on the floor next to my desk. It came out of E350 van with about 30,000 miles.

I like to replace things before failure. I have never replaced an alternator in the 6.0 van. Seems like a lot of work!
coolfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #4

Performance Aluminum radiator review for Ford 6.0.

It only took me about 15 mins to change the alt on my 7.3L. I hope the 6.0 isn't too bad for you, but I haven't ever worked on one of those.

I also am not a fan of plastic radiators. The last 3 that I replaced in the last 12 months all failed where the aluminum core is bonded to the plastic tanks. All had some miles and years on them, but all failed in a similar way. They were on my 03 e350, 04 caddy cts-v, and my sons 02 Chevy s10.
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #5

@joeH notice any cooling improvement?
@coolfeet why the higher temp T-stat? Stock is 185?

Anybody know of a larger radiator for the 6.0 van? I have looked high and low (well I actually just asked uncle google) and there does not seem to be any options.
I understand it would take a little fabrication due to the location of the AC condenser, but some body has to try!
Also bigger intercooler but thatn is another thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bartfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartfriend View Post
@joeH notice any cooling improvement?
@coolfeet why the higher temp T-stat? Stock is 185?

Anybody know of a larger radiator for the 6.0 van? I have looked high and low (well I actually just asked uncle google) and there does not seem to be any options.
I understand it would take a little fabrication due to the location of the AC condenser, but some body has to try!
Also bigger intercooler but thatn is another thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think so but I'm not really sure as I made other mods at the same time as part of my heat management plan. Either way, I would rather not have the plastic end tanks but the OEM radiator does the job. Transmission cooler is inadequate for sure. There are no intercooler aftermarket options. Not sure it's really needed either unless you plan on making 400+ HP.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:14 AM   #7

My original ford radiator just died. The plastic top tank split, so I'm going to look at the performance radiators. By the way I have a 97 with a 7.3.
I hope they make a replacement for it.
bad luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:08 AM   #8

Bad luck did you find one for you 97?
Mine just split
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
Bad luck did you find one for you 97?
Mine just split
Yes, my mechanic found an all aluminum Performance radiator to fit.
We'll be picking up the van tomorrow.
bad luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #10

Is it only the diesels that have radiator failures? This thread seems to indicate that.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote