Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #11

Re: Exhaust Systems and Performance

There's a number of things that come into play. A larger exhaust in the van will give you slightly better HP and MPG. We're talking 2% - 5% gain on each. It will also give you a cooler turbo, which I think is the more important factor.

When you compress the intake air, it gets hotter, not to mention that the exhaust gases themselves are hot (this is what spins the turbo) and a lot of that heat is transferring to the intake air.

The intercooler is designed to reduce the intake air after it's pressurized by the turbo. Cooler air = more power; not to mention less stress on the engine.

Of course, the opposite of compression is expansion and as the exhaust air goes into a larger pipe, it expands, lowering it's temperature rapidly. The higher exhaust volume actually plays a larger part but you get the idea how things are working in concert.

Because the vans are so limited in engine space, there's virtually no room to add a good after market exhaust. That's why most systems tend to be "cat back" (catalytic converter and rearward) systems. If you remove your doghouse (engine cover) you can see the exhaust pipe coming out of the turbo is sort of wrinkled and squished. There's also a heat shield. This is to give it enough clearance without cooking the doghouse.

[Side track: maybe a solution to the clearance issue is to have a custom doghouse made, giving more room. Albeit, at the expense of the already precious front seat area.]

To finally answer why Ford does it this way, it's simple. Economy. It's cheaper to make it this way and/or faster to assemble, which saves money.

aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #12

Got it. So the consensus is if I want to add to fuel economy (at any price, this is about absolving guilt, not saving $, and I actually don't tow anything) the steps should probably be:

A. Add EGT and other sensors to start to understand what's going on under normal conditions

B. Perhaps get the SCT while simultaneously blowing my warranty (which I'd consider)

C. Then, perhaps looking at the exhaust mod in concert with an intake mod, the former of which would probably be more effective if I do a custom mod on the doghouse as well.

Or, D: sell the van, and go get one of the 4WD sprinters.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #13
Site Team

That sums it up quite well.

I would have considered the Sprinter (2wd or 4wd) if they could only have more tow capacity.

Herb
Old 02-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #14

Why not EDGE? If removed before taking it into FORD they cannot tell you have been chipping your engine. I believe it is because EDGE does not overwrite the flash like the others on the market. At least that is my understanding.

http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.asp?P ... ProdID=732
VANZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #15

Another suggestion...DIESELS LOVE AIR!!!

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... od=33-2341
Old 02-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #16

Diesels Love Air

Thank you Vanzilla ,
It certainly wouldn't hurt to try this K&N replacement ,I will order one and let you know how it work's out . Thanks again
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #17

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
What you say is correct, but what do you do after the warranty? As you overload the standard system, you decrease the service life. There are issues with wearout. While not an issue for your SMB in warranty, it does effect resale value for the PSD today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANZILLA
Why not EDGE? If removed before taking it into FORD they cannot tell you have been chipping your engine. I believe it is because EDGE does not overwrite the flash like the others on the market. At least that is my understanding.

http://www.xtremediesel.com/index.asp?P ... ProdID=732

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #18

Marty -

Great points! First, it doesn't affect resale because just like Ford nobody can determine the Edge was used. Second, I do not have an Edge, nor will I. My 6.0 can go anyway I need it (over 13,000' 4wd trails at full power) and I am satisfied with the fuel efficiency. Different stokes for different folks I guess. I was just pointing out for those concerned about their warranties they did have other options than Bank's.

Also, as a word of caution on my K&N post. If you are taking your van in for Ford service REMOVE the filter and put the OEM in until you get it back. It is a warranty issue with Ford.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANZILLA
Marty -

Great points! First, it doesn't affect resale because just like Ford nobody can determine the Edge was used. Second, I do not have an Edge, nor will I. My 6.0 can go anyway I need it (over 13,000' 4wd trails at full power) and I am satisfied with the fuel efficiency. Different stokes for different folks I guess. I was just pointing out for those concerned about their warranties they did have other options than Bank's.

Also, as a word of caution on my K&N post. If you are taking your van in for Ford service REMOVE the filter and put the OEM in until you get it back. It is a warranty issue with Ford.
If the EDGE modifies how the engine runs, it will likely leave "traces" that Ford can find if they want to look deep enough. That's generally the key. How hard will your Ford dealership look for modifications?

K&N's are OK in road use, but I stay away from them in any kind of dusty conditions. Oil + dust = gunk.

You can remove the K&N before going to the dealership, but if they look into the intake system, they will likely see more dirt than they should, perhaps causing them to look deeper into whether or not the vehicle engine has been modified.

On both of these issues, everyone also has to decide for themselves if it's ethical to enhance the engine, then if there's a problem develops, remove the potential cause and expect Ford to honor the warranty. I know there are plenty of instances where Ford has denied warranties because of an enhancement that has nothing to do with the part failure. Personally, I was nervous if Ford would honor the warranrty on my turbo, since I have an aftermarket exhaust. They did, bit the next dealership might not.

Just some things to think about. I'm not judging anybody.

Herb
Old 02-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #20

Engine Mod

Herb ,
You are right about dealership's looking for any excuse to back out of any obligations regarding warranty , this A.M. I took my new van to Advantage Ford to have my stock headlights looked at and possibly worked on because of lack of adjustment and the first thing off of the service writers lips was that I would have to take it to Sportsmobile as it was a conversion . I then with a little hostility explained that they were Ford's Stock headlight's and not the Hella Hid's . He was so quick to absolve himself of any warranty that he never heard the word HEADLIGHT'S once in the three times that I said it . I explained to him that GOOD LISTENING is a worthwhile service virtue . He then started complimenting me on the van . Make's me wonder how viable Sportsmobiles claim is with regard to all item's by Ford are under warranty by Ford.
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote