Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #21

Re: Looking for a Good Mechanic

Autotech on Main Street in Dayton, OH
The guys name is Jim. His dad and brother own repair shops. He is a self-proclaimed Ford man.

I took my 87 camper van to him. It took a while before he could get to it, but when he did he lovingly took my entire engine apart and basically rebuilt it for about 1/4 of what it would cost in CA.

He's just a one-man operation but he knows his knows his Fords.

jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #22

John Wood Automotive in Holtville, CA (bit west of Yuma, AZ). He specializes in transmissions. I had him repair and "toughen" my 4R100 and was very pleased with the work and with the improvements he has designed/implemented. He also does work on transmissions that are shipped in/out if you can't go there (I went there though).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:39 AM   #23

^ ditto. Built and sent me a Trans in a weeks time. Doesn't up sell you. In fact he'll ask you questions and tell you which build is right and which is overkill.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #24

Gas mechanic in Portland?
taylorvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
^ ditto. Built and sent me a Trans in a weeks time. Doesn't up sell you. In fact he'll ask you questions and tell you which build is right and which is overkill.
That was my experience too. In fact, when I first called, I wondered if my "RV" transmission would be too boring for him (since he does big/cool racing stuff). But no, he said he enjoys working on rigs like mine, and matching the product to the need. I didn't really have any complaints about the performance of my transmission, and didn't want to change the shifting or etc. -- but it was making a weird noise (the reason for my visit) and I had read many accounts of people needing to rebuild them prior to 100k -- and I wanted to feel mine was more sturdy/bulletproof, especially for towing. He listened and made recommendations (but not in a selling way but because I wanted to know my options). I'm really happy now and no longer worry about the transmission as it is much improved (and the noise is gone - was a dislodged snap ring of which he puts in a better/locking design).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorvon
Gas mechanic in Portland?
I'd be PMing Carringb an would hope he could help me out.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #27

I might as well add this to this thread rather than starting a new one but looking for a diesel mechanic in either Portland, OR, Hood River, or Boise, ID.

I've got some kind of injector issue going on. I've now replaced all of them now in the last 5,000 miles. FICM is showing 48.5V. No codes or check engine light. Just smoke, especially on startup. Engine runs fine.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #28

I just had my EGR cooler and Oil cooler replaced by South Bay Auto Care, in Lawndale. Hubert did an awesome job! I'm dropping the Ford a Dealer and using Hubert for all service.

Good luck.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:01 PM   #29

Really late to this thread.

I had great experience with Rob's fleet service northwest, Hubbard Oregon. Have two thee mechanics in town I trust too. But he has done some major work recently.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #30

Re: Post reliable mechanics you've dealt with

I recently lost a fuel pump in Monument Valley. I was towed to Page and Liberty Auto Service helped me out and did an awesome job. If you're ever in the area of Page, Zion NP, Grand Canyon NP, or Monument Valley I would try for Liberty Auto. I also had a very good experience with Transport towing there, who tow for AAA.

Page is a small, but great little town. Small airport, Avis car rental, a few good mechanics and an O'reilley and Napa. That's actually a lot for small town Arizona.

Look up Paul at Liberty Auto and they will help you out. They are set up to work on bigger trucks like ours. I was told they had a 16k lift IIRC.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote