Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #41

Re: Power Brake Vacuum Assist Failure on Diesel Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
The Brake Booster Vacuum Pump on my invoice is AC2Z2A451A - 2004 E350; $231 (a nice $65 profit for the shop!)

Just found this

Part No. 4C2Z-2A451-AA
Part Description PUMP ASY - VACUUM
Replaced By AC2Z-2A451-A
Cool, thanks. Found it for $152 at AutoNationFord.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #42

Alive to tell the story

Today crossing the bridge into Louisville on I-65, I hit the brakes with my '03 7.3 diesel E350 and ...

... Nothing.

It felt like my foot was pressing against a brick. Fractional stopping power, frantic hand waving, horn honking and emergency flashers somehow got me off the highway.

I could have smashed into someone else easily if it happened when traffic was backed up. I had zero warning. No brake light shining or partial failure first.

One second I had brakes, the next, nada.

It was the power brake vacuum assist that failed me at 121,000 miles.

But for the grace of The Man Upstairs, my friends.

Warning.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #43

Garage
Woah... that would not be a fun experience!

When mine died on me, it gave me a few warning signs ahead of time... it was noisy and my brake pedal was slowly depressing if I kept constant pressure on it (like at a stop light)... I still had braking power to some degree, but it slowly got less and less. I had plenty of time to get it off the road and change it safely though.
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #44

brake issue

On the way back from Valley Of The Fire meet last week I lost my brakes in Barstow. Called AAA which I have 200 miles free towing I thought. Since it is a RV ONLY 100 miles is covered. The extra 74 miles to Capistrano Ford in Orange County cost 187 dollars. Unloaded van and noticed fluid on flat bed tow truck, not a good sign. Talked to Rich who is the head guy the next day and he immediately said vacuum pump but fluid is from something else. My air conditioner was not working up to par on my way home either. I got the bad news the following day, vacuum pump bad, radiator leaking, air compressor bad, and should replace front rotors and brakes. Rich said hell take care of me and its only going to be around 3500,OUCH! Hopefully 2017 will b a better year for repairs. By the way the van is a 2004 6.0 with seventy seven thousand miles. C YA!
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns378 View Post
... I lost my brakes in Barstow....
Barstow...enough said.

Quote:
... Rich said hell take care of me and its only going to be around 3500,OUCH!...
That does hurt, been there done that. At least some of it is maintenance that would need to be done anyway.

Herb
Old 10-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #46
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
On the way back from Valley Of The Fire meet last week I lost my brakes in Barstow. Called AAA which I have 200 miles free towing I thought. Since it is a RV ONLY 100 miles is covered. The extra 74 miles to Capistrano Ford in Orange County cost 187 dollars. Unloaded van and noticed fluid on flat bed tow truck, not a good sign. Talked to Rich who is the head guy the next day and he immediately said vacuum pump but fluid is from something else. My air conditioner was not working up to par on my way home either. I got the bad news the following day, vacuum pump bad, radiator leaking, air compressor bad, and should replace front rotors and brakes. Rich said hell take care of me and its only going to be around 3500,OUCH! Hopefully 2017 will b a better year for repairs. By the way the van is a 2004 6.0 with seventy seven thousand miles. C YA!
You got hit all at once, yikes! I lost my vac-pump on the way to the last V of F meet a few years back. Costly. Ended up needing a tow into Vegas. Interesting about the AAA RV=100 miles only. Do you have the premium coverage?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #47

yes I do. I also have RV towing with Foremost Insurance with whom I have my van insured with. Their towing policy is useless, 17 miles free towing to the nearest mechanic. As far as their insurance I give them a A PLUS FOR COVERAGE AND CUSTOMER SERVICE. I had my van vandalized last year and since it was my first claim they waived the deductible and had deposited money in my bank account within the first week to cover expenses.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #48

Mine went out while off the beaten path in the Mammoth area, scary!!!
Made it to Bishop ford and they replaced it for shy of $500.00. I love those guys.
Too bad they are not closer. Also a symptom we had was the ac would not blow from main vents. I know it sounds weird but it is related somethin to look out for.
Mine went out at around 110K.
malcolmkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmkegel View Post
... Also a symptom we had was the ac would not blow from main vents...
A symptom of a vacuum leak. I didn't know that a malfunctioning vacuum pump would cause that symptom, but I guess it depends on the how the vacuum pump and blend door are connected.

Herb
Old 10-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #50

Two months ago my AC was blowing out hot air. I took it to same dealer and the reservoir had a leak and was not holding the Freon, 900 hundred for that fix. Talked to John Wintersteller he said since they were in their replace heater core because they always leak. That was a 300 fix. Coming back from VOF last week was the first time I used AC, and it was cool but not cold. that's when the dealer said the compressor was bad.