Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #11
BC

mmocken makes a good point on resale value, certainly another place where diesel has a clear advantage. And truth be known, while I can easily justify the V10 and have come to appreciate its value and capability in a niche market where diesel rules, I would have to seriously consider diesel, wife approval notwithstanding, if we ever got another one.

BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #12

Thanks all ... you have provided great information. Now all I have to do is make a decision.
WanderDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:45 PM   #13

Diesel vs Gas

Hello I just joined this forum and I can't resist this topic.. I've had three Ford diesels.(2003 thru 2006 Sportsmobile ). In my opinion... Go with the gas. My logic.......Diesels cost 6000.00 more than gas.(just think of the extras you could buy!!).. Diesel fuel is almost the same price.... Way more horsepower for gas and the same torque. Diesel way more noisy... Gas weighs 300lbs less( much easier on all components) Diesels run hotter in the vans. Heat is not good for components. Cold weather issues with Diesel. Long idle issues. Did I say Noisy!.... V10 will go 200000 miles easy, with less maintenance. ( who is really going to put 350000 miles on their Diesel....The rest of the vehicle will be junk... Yes, the torque is down low on diesel... but my diesel is slow, gutless, almost dangerous. My mileage sucks cause I'am wide open all the time... Diesels smell, although I like it. Lastly 6.0 PSD have very bad quailty problems, because they are so complicated.... Well thats my 2 cents worth. Peace Jeff P.S. I'am assuming alot of off-road miles..
Old 10-16-2007, 07:21 AM   #14

welcome jeff to the forum

i second jeff's comment on the rest (well most of it) of the van being junk after you're engine does hit 350K miles

folks tend to neglect this consideration, yeah, you're engine will last but will the tranny, suspension system, etc....last as long as your engine...

i would not buy the diesel for the sake of its longevity....

also, if you neglect the diesel, it will not last....

buy the diesel for its low end torque, mileage per gallon, and if you want all diesel appliance, and the availability of fuel of your intended destination...
Old 10-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #15

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
The Ford/International engine 6.0L was bad the first year. There have been many improvements along the way...its a good engine now.

One thing has not been covered...the real reason to get a diesel is towing. Fuel economy and pulling through the hills while towing is where diesels beat gas hands down.

- An exception is the Sprinter or the new diesels coming from Ford and GM. These are smaller and designed for lighter duty. The new Ford will be 4.4L and the new Gm 4.5L. It is likely worth waiting waiting until 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duramax_V8_engine#4.5L

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_4.4_Turbo_Diesel

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #16

would the life span of the diesel engine last longer if it was converted to run on veg oil?I feel a bit sheepish asking this question as I posted a question on veg oil already and because of the feedback(1 reply)I cant help but feel it might just be seen as a stupid question or it just isnt done!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestef
would the life span of the diesel engine last longer if it was converted to run on veg oil?I feel a bit sheepish asking this question as I posted a question on veg oil already and because of the feedback(1 reply)I cant help but feel it might just be seen as a stupid question or it just isnt done!
I don't know the answer, but I know where to look for an answer:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f22/

The biggest problem I know of with vegetable oil (AKA: WVO - Waste Vegetable Oil) is the need to heat it to make it flow. You will find more information than you wanted on that site.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #18

thankyou for the advice,you are the second person to recommend that site.Iwill look it up again.if we where doing it ,we would convert it(engine) so it would start running and end with diesel and that would allow us to use 100% veg oil in between.it would just be nice to know someone who did it with their smb.In theory it sounds great!
Old 09-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #19

Is vegetable oil easily available and cost effective in your part of Spain? What about other countries in Europe? Just curious.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:04 AM   #20

Well if we where buying it in the shop its probabley around 90cent a litre,we havent checked it out cause we think we will use the used veg oil,which we will sourse from local restuarants for next to nothing (they will be happy to have it taken away)Of course we will nead to filter it .We will have to make the filter ourselves,hopefully it wont be too difficult!!