Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
Maybe I'm missing it, but how did you relocate them and to where?

I've also been poking around in there trying to figure out how to get intercooler pipes to fit, you ain't kidding about it being tight! When UJoint did the intercooler on AlphaVan, he moved the alternator to the position where the second alternator is on the ambulances. I've looked at that as well but after having to replace one in BFE, in the rain, I've been looking harder at keeping it on top where it is accessible...
I looked pretty closely at Chris' solution for a slightly different need; Beside adding an intercooler, the engine builder installed a larger turbo and efuel system; Pretty much a 7.3 hotrod engine in a van, with all the typical 7.3 aftermarket trick parts necessary to support 400hp 600ft lbs for his customer.

I have had, and still have plenty of "Frankenstien's monster" vehicles... My goal with this engine bay is stock + intercooler. I upgraded to a billet impeller wheel in the turbo, but the factory one needed replacing.

I'm stuck on leaving the International Harvester/factory Ford fuel bowl and regulator, replacement stock fuel lines and lift pump, 'just' adding an intercooler to bring the power level up to 1998 7.3 truck specs. I think a modest goal, for a little more power while retaining reliability, and ease of locating parts to keep this thing running for another 15yrs.

"How hard can it be?"

Old 04-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #32

I know you're not building a race car, but what do you expect the performance gains will be in the neighborhood of?
Old 04-26-2019, 04:32 AM   #33
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
I know you're not building a race car, but what do you expect the performance gains will be in the neighborhood of?
I too would be interested in this. Will it be determined via a dyno test or a seat-of-the-pants test?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #34

Unfortunately I never baselined it on a dyno. Even if I had, baseline compared to what? Remember, beside leaking fuel and oil, and being down on power (call it down by 25%ish by seat of the pants) after stripping the intake and valley fuel systems I discovered my turbine wheel's vanes were bent and chipped (explains down on power).

Remember this all started with "While it's apart, I may as do this IC (intercooler) upgrade I've been planning and thinking about", after talking to one of my race buddies who IC'd his '96 7.3 truck "It's easy" he claimed. Buddy... pfft...He's never even looked into a van's engine bay LOL!

Since Diesels make more power by burning more fuel, cooler and denser air bring 'more oxygen to the party' to help facilitate that (bigger fire, more pressure, more work done). I might have to add a tune to the ECM that gives more fuel to realize any real gains, but I'm not sure.

What do I expect for performance gains?
I guess "we'll see". I've got no ego in this modification, but I'd be lying like a Persian Rug if I told you I didn't care. I have my fingers cross that "The juice will be worth the squeeze".

I expect to get that 25% back from the turbo repair. I expect that new billet compressor Wicked Wheel I installed to give noticeably more boost pressure and power 5%? 10% IDK. I expect EGT's to be relatively lower when pulling a grade. With no other changes I hope to make up the difference between 7.3 non-IC van, and a 1998 F series IC'd truck's power.

What I am unsure of is how much Ford changed the fuel map in the truck vs the van. I've read all kind of internet forum theory, conjecture, he said she said, and outright guessing, all posing as facts (reminds me of watching CNN) but have not come across anyone to date with real knowledge.

If anyone knows of something factual, or at least something on the topic from a credible source, please link it here.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Remember this all started with "While it's apart, I may as do this IC (intercooler) upgrade I've been planning and thinking about", .
I'm about to embark on a similar journey. I plan to pull the entire front end of the van to expose the 7.3's little hidden secrets. I want to replace anything that is likely to fail, like the CPS, water pump, other sensors, belt and tensioner, hoses etc. Like you said though, it's a slippery, expensive slope to head down. Where does one draw the line?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Where does one draw the line?

You're asking the wrong guy
Old 04-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #37

Well if the 7.3 vans were ~180-200 HP and you were down 25% due to fuel and a bad turbo, you were probably down to the 150 point...

I'd imagine fixing whats broke (Fuel, turbo) as you say gets you back to the ~200 neighborhood and so long as the heat can be managed and with a tune and intercooler, maybe pushing into the 300's?

Always heard that ~400 was about the upper limit of the 7.3 before you really had to start worrying about performance internals, etc. Figure vans are down a bit on that due to heat related issues, and that (at least most of us) aren't looking to run blistering quarter miles or smoke people out in traffic.

I'm sure wherever you end up it will be better than from where you started... But if you had a buddy with a dyno, I would be interested to hear what a good-running intercooled van could put out on one.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
But if you had a buddy with a dyno...

I do... If I add a 'tune', whatever it takes to do that to an older '95 7.3 ?, I'd go visit my buddy Tony at M45 Automotive in Auburn, for sure.

We'll see how it feels when I'm done

I'm picking up some silicone hoses this afternoon from Turbo Hoses, just down the street from the place I work.

One more piece of the puzzle
Old 04-29-2019, 08:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I'm about to embark on a similar journey. I plan to pull the entire front end of the van to expose the 7.3's little hidden secrets. I want to replace anything that is likely to fail, like the CPS, water pump, other sensors, belt and tensioner, hoses etc. Like you said though, it's a slippery, expensive slope to head down. Where does one draw the line?
How many miles are on it?
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:34 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Funny thing, I just came a cross an intercooler kit for an IDI (truck) at the Turlock Swap Meet, the guy was practically begging me to take it home. It wasn't compete, and I'm trying to mend my 'pack-rat ways' otherwise I might have been more interested.
The IDI engine doesn't have a turbo, so I'm not sure what an intercooler kit would do for it.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote