Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2019, 08:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Oh good! I'm glad a few people are watching/entertained, thanks for the feedback and the compliment.

Nice to know a few people find it worth reading about, even though you may never take on such an involved project.

I own a V10 with no intention of getting a 7.3, yet I will follow the post to the end! Always fun to see what other people have come up with and the awesome engineering. Keep up the good work and detailed posts!

neatvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:44 AM   #12

Just make sure that you fab up a kit while you're doing this. I'll buy one....
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:19 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Nice to know a few people find it worth reading about, even though you may never take on such an involved project.

Me too on the compliments on the engineering and creativity---not to mention the motivation too.

I say drown us with as much info as you dare----I sincerely doubt anyone will complain about anything being too technical or overly described. If you hear nothing but crickets it means you've done a fantastic job describing---if not questions will arise.

Of course I'll be interested in any test results you care to post. This isn't something I need do (all gasoline here) but its fascinating anyway. And with MG Metalworks off working his other job(s) now who'll pick up that mantle of doing things "they" say can't or shouldn't be?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:34 AM   #14

Garage
Can we do mine next? I would love to eventually do this to my 96 if it works out good for you. I will have to try and find some parts once I see yours all buttoned up.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #15

I have been attempting to intercool my 01 for a few years, yes that is how long I have been sketching it in my head. My choice of cooler is a Business Class Freightliner cooler I picked up for free several years ago. The intercooler has tubes angling back and down, but I would flip it over to go up! The problem with the factory cooler, is running the hoses. I may be mistaken but my radiator looks wider. This does not leave much room for hose/tubing through the radiator support. This is what has me stumped. My plan is to mount it behind the winch bumper and angled up and run the tubes up the sides of the rad. Someday I will get to it, if you can post pics directly many of us are comp. illiterate!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
The problem with the factory cooler, is running the hoses. I may be mistaken but my radiator looks wider. This does not leave much room for hose/tubing through the radiator support. This is what has me stumped. My plan is to mount it behind the winch bumper and angled up and run the tubes up the sides of the rad. Someday I will get to it, if you can post pics directly many of us are comp. illiterate!

I'm wrestling with that as well, it's tight.

I've only made a little progress in the last week or so, relocated the transmission and oil dipsticks, rerouted the alternator +pos wire.

I ordered some 3" x .06" wall mandrel bent steel exhaust 90's. My plan is to cut large holes in the radiator support uprights, on both sides of the radiator. Rather than making the holes pass-throughs, I'll weld the steel sections of intercooler tubes in place, restoring most of the radiator support's strength.

My 1995 van has 2 engine compartment batteries, the one on the passenger side is very much in the way. I have some Ford battery boxes on hand, as I may have to relocate one or both batteries to the frame rails.

I now have 2 pair of Ford aluminum intercooler pipes, which should give me enough material to make the runs I need. My good friend of 50yrs, who has always done my TIG welding for me, is down recovering from a surgery just after moving, and his shop isn't set up. I'm looking for a local welder who will rejoin my pipes. I have a guy lined up to do the bead rolling of the tube ends, not beading them seems to allow the silicone couplings to pop off too easily. Either that, or I'll buy a tube beader from Jeg's.

I'll post up more pics as I make some significant progress
Old 02-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #17

IC charge pipe fab

I found some time to work on The Beast this weekend

I got the turbocharger, fuel filter assembly new parts and o-rings put back together as assemblies on the bench.

Now to tackle the intercooler charge pipes. Starting with the passenger side:

Cutting through the radiator support w/3" hole saw, sawzall, and die grinder

(sorry for the sideways pictures)

Even with moving the dipsticks, and the AC lines, gaining a 1/2" here, and 3/4" there with each, there's barely enough room for the 3" diameter pipes.

Fitting some tight bends using 3" mandrel bent exhaust 90's and 45's:

Old 02-25-2019, 03:55 PM   #18

Garage
Determination - I like it!
Old 03-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #19

Cool. I just wish my '92 IDI just had a turbo. Way down on my projects list is a swap to a more powerful engine.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #20

Nice work! I’m gathering parts to do an a/w intercooler setup on my 7.3. Getting by with water injection right now.
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote