Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #1

Pyrometer

I have a 2001 E350 with the Quigley package. I have the 7.3 L. powerstroke diesel motor in it. I have a gauge cluster on my post, within those gauges I have a pyrometer gauge. From my understanding when driving especially pulling a grade you are to keep the temp. below 1100 degrees do to the fact that you may fry the turbo. Is this correct does anyone have any insite on this? Also is there a way of reducing that temp. with some sort of conversion (ie. larger exhaust???)

Any info or explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

lazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Pyrometer

The first thing to find out, is whether the thermocouple (temp probe) is mounted pre-turbo or post-turbo. From what I understand pre-turbo temps can be up to 300 degrees hotter than post-turbo.

My thermocouple (on a 6.0L) is mounted pre-turbo and the person who installed my pyrometer (Ken Imler of Imler Diesel in Sacramento) set my pyrometer alarm at 1300 degrees. Had an '02 F250 with the 7.3L, and the pyrometer was pre-turbo, and I think the alarm was set at the same temp, but I'm not sure anymore.

Hope this helps.

Herb
Old 10-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #3

Herb is spot on with regard to placement of the Thermocouple . I checked with FORD ,and several long time Diesel shops . Shawn Zylstra installed mine to immediately defuel at the 1300 degree temperature that was so agreed upon for the 6.0 T D . I would contact someone knowledgable with the 7.3 .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #4

Bumping this thread for anyone installing a pyrometer. I needed to replace the bulb in my guage and discovered the previous owner had the thermocouple mounted post-turbo. As I understand it it's not as accurate or quick but on a long grade or pull it doesn't matter as the temps will be close to one another anyway. The other one reason is that if it ever comes apart at the pre-turbo location it goes right into the turbo. Not good. Pre-turbo you're also getting the temp effects from the exhaust manifold.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #5

Mine is pre turbo as well. 1100 up for any period of time is a sure way to fry a 6.0!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote