Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2019, 07:34 PM   #1

Question about Tires?

Just bought an E150 with a bubble top. Replaced the tires and I'm unsure weather they are good for my van.

mostly concerned about weight load it can handle? They are: MasterCraft Stratus AS 235/75/15 105T says max load 2039lbs.

My van is a conversion van. just a bed platform in the rear and my toys. usually a few surfboards and bicycles. Nothing crazy. let me know if these tires are decent enough. Really appreciate it. Thanks

TahoeVan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #2

You'd have to weigh it, by axle, to find out for sure.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:49 PM   #3

what about a guesimate? internet says cub weight for the Recreational E-150 van is Cub weight: 4791lbs Gross weight: 6700lbs. my van ins't loaded up. I'm fairly light on cargo in my opinion(not a big build out). Im unsure the way this works, but if my tire max load is 2039, i multiply that by 4?= 8156lbs. is that what my max gross weight can be? So, technically i should be okay? am I doing this right. I'm not 100% that my logic is correct.
TahoeVan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:27 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeVan1 View Post
what about a guesimate? internet says cub weight for the Recreational E-150 van is Cub weight: 4791lbs Gross weight: 6700lbs. my van ins't loaded up. I'm fairly light on cargo in my opinion(not a big build out). Im unsure the way this works, but if my tire max load is 2039, i multiply that by 4?= 8156lbs. is that what my max gross weight can be? So, technically i should be okay? am I doing this right. I'm not 100% that my logic is correct.
You very well may have guessed correctly but is that the best policy when it comes to this sort of thing?

Find a close-by vehicle scale and stop guessing. Doing a Google search for a CAT scale near by would give you a few choices. They can weigh your van's front and rear axles independently and print it out on a form for your records. Usually this will cost somewhere between $12-15 each time.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:57 AM   #5

Garage
[QUOTE=TahoeVan1;
mostly concerned about weight load it can handle? They are: MasterCraft Stratus AS 235/75/15 105T says max load 2039lbs. [/QUOTE]

Your going to put the same tire on all four wheels so there is no need to weigh all four corners. You just need to know your GVW and know the weight of the gear your going to haul.

If it is a factory conversion the tire rating sticker might still be in the door jam of the drivers side.

Most Mom and Pop tire stores that have been in business for awhile could tell you just by looking at the van.

My conversion van, just seats and a high top, had load range E's (3520 @ 80 PSI) on it. You might get by with a smaller load range, but I did not want to risk it.
Sboring35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboring35 View Post
Your going to put the same tire on all four wheels so there is no need to weigh all four corners. You just need to know your GVW and know the weight of the gear your going to haul.
Except the axle ratings are not equal, so no, you can't just air up all 4 tires to max psi and call it a day. Axle weights absolutely matter. Also it's unlikely anybody has perfect 50/50 weight distribution when loaded.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:55 PM   #7

$12 at any truckstop with a Cat (or other) scale, or free at your local landfill or metal scrap place.

I would recommend E-rated tires next time you need them. Vans get heavy, even E150's.

There are many SMB's that are north of 10k and I don't mean just diesels. I had an RB gas that was almost 11k.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Except the axle ratings are not equal, so no, you can't just air up all 4 tires to max psi and call it a day. Axle weights absolutely matter. Also it's unlikely anybody has perfect 50/50 weight distribution when loaded.
Yep, but it's not a race car.

Your going to buy the same tire so you can rotate them and run the PSI needed on the front and rear.

His question was about load range not PSI. 3520 lbs @ 80 PSI was the max PSI and weigh on the load range E's that was on my van. Sorry if that confused you.
Sboring35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboring35 View Post
Yep, but it's not a race car.

Your going to buy the same tire so you can rotate them and run the PSI needed on the front and rear.

His question was about load range not PSI. 3520 lbs @ 80 PSI was the max PSI and weigh on the load range E's that was on my van. Sorry if that confused you.
Trust me, I'm not confused. You just simply cannot load up an E150 with 15" wheels to 8156lbs. Not weighing the van at this point is potentially dangerous, since a high-top conversion may very well exceed 4,000 pounds on the rear axle.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:48 AM   #10
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Trust me, I'm not confused. You just simply cannot load up an E150 with 15" wheels to 8156lbs. Not weighing the van at this point is potentially dangerous, since a high-top conversion may very well exceed 4,000 pounds on the rear axle.
Such great advice shouldn't be ignored, dismissed or poo-poo'd as irrelevant---and yet more than likely it will be. Regard WHY you have your vehicle weighed its a good idea.

Next thread will be about over-loaded tire failures and their resulting vehicle damage.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote