Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2022, 02:44 PM   #1

Random no start, 6.0 Ford diesel

Hello,

I have been looking for info on what would cause a very random "crank but no start" situation on a 2006 Ford 6.0 diesel E350 SMB. Looking at other Ford forums yields many "might be" causes, and I'm not expecting anything more here, but I figured I would ask if others here have had this issue?

About a year ago, one day my van would crank but not start. The cranking was at normal speed, and there were no codes in the Scangauge. A couple days later it started up as normal. It did this again a few days ago, and it started normally this morning. No codes stored again.

I drive it about once a week to keep it from sitting a long time betweens trips and it has not been an issue between these two times. With no codes stored and this happening so rarely I have my doubts my shop will have an answer as to why this is happening. It destroys any confidence I have in the van for taking long trips to remote places, which is the exact reason I own it.

Any thoughts you have to share are welcome.

Thanks,

Brian

Old 07-04-2022, 03:07 PM   #2

I had that exact problem on my 2006 6.0, (well exact symptoms). Mine was the wiring harness that runs from the ECU (drivers side) and up over the engine. I read there were problems with wire chafing in that location. I tested it was that, by one day when it wouldn’t start, I grabbed the harness and gave it a yank, then started. It was actually shorting out on the drivers valve cover. I didn’t replace the harness, simply pulled it apart at the location re-wrapped one wire that had chaffed, then re-wrapped the whole harness with thicker harness tape. It’s held up fine for 7 years now.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. That is VERY interesting as I have had a problem with a wire chaffing in the past (years ago now) that caused the engine to stutter very briefly. The wire was not fully broken so it would work most of the time but when the engine was hot (usually miles from home) the symptoms were a brief lag or surge, as the ECU was not getting speed sensor info for just a second. It was fixed by replacing the portion of the wiring harness that ran to the transmission and speed sensor.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:36 PM   #4
Site Team

With me, it was typically my forgetting to reinstall the Ravelco key.

Herb
Old 07-04-2022, 07:16 PM   #5

I've been researching getting a Ravelco system but the nearest place to get it installed is a full days drive from me so haven't done it yet. I'm sure as soon as I get it, I'll forget to put the key in and have a new reason to panic...
Old 07-04-2022, 07:20 PM   #6

Garage
I feel you pain! Although mine didn't have a no start issue, It would shut down periodically while driving - and no codes. Van spent some quality time with the dealer, that couldn't duplicate the issue - that's the problem that causes all the frustration & expense.
Turned out to be a wire in the harness that separated from the rest, and started shorting (occasionally) on the exhaust manifold - this was discovered by accident.

As you have, I reached out to the forum for advise and received some great feedback - very detailed on what could cause such a problem - this info may help you with your dilemma. Let me add also, I have a nephew that had an issue similar to yours, and it turned out to be a bad PCM.
Hope this provides some ideas on where to look (member UNRENG documents some very specific locations to start your search):
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...hts-23570.html
Old 07-04-2022, 07:30 PM   #7

Thanks for the link to that thread. I even replied to it back a ways! I'll print it out and pass it along to my shop. I'm gonna ask them how much it will be to replace the engine harness.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railvan View Post
Thanks for the link to that thread. I even replied to it back a ways! I'll print it out and pass it along to my shop. I'm gonna ask them how much it will be to replace the engine harness.
When I did mine it wasn’t all that expensive when I looked, few hundred dollars or so, but looking at what was involved in replacing it I decided it was better to fix in place. I’d dread to think the labour cost paying someone else. But now finding the part might be the problem. BTW I seem to remember it was an International part# with ford label.

There was a PDF ( I think ford sent the dealers) that had all the chafing areas to check. It might be worth trying to find that on the internet. It was for the Truck and not Van but most points were the same.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:59 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. That is VERY interesting as I have had a problem with a wire chaffing in the past (years ago now) that caused the engine to stutter very briefly. The wire was not fully broken so it would work most of the time but when the engine was hot (usually miles from home) the symptoms were a brief lag or surge, as the ECU was not getting speed sensor info for just a second. It was fixed by replacing the portion of the wiring harness that ran to the transmission and speed sensor.
I had a simliar issue on my 2006. My mechanic spliced the harness back together and I haven't had an issue yet. A new harness is likely in my future if I can find one.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:20 PM   #10

Quote:
I've been researching getting a Ravelco system but the nearest place to get it installed is a full days drive from me so haven't done it yet. I'm sure as soon as I get it, I'll forget to put the key in and have a new reason to panic...
For the 6.0, you can perform the ravelco install w/o penetrating the firewall, and obscure the lines. This however, is not the ravelco way of doing it.
I found two wires in the EVTM that make sense for a interior only install.
Ravelco likes to run the metal sheath through the firewall.

I did mine that way, then again, I got one for ~$150 (see other thread in forum). However, mine was wired incorrectly, and I had to decrypt the fob, break apart and reassemble the receiver, and then I got it installed.

That being said, I also now have a decryption guide so that I can bypass my install w/ wires, should I loose everything.
desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote