Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Rear axle leak/blowout on E350

I ordered the full float rear end because I knew I was going to be heavy. The standard RB usually didn't need the upgrade unless it was a tow vehicle. Mine is an EB and I expected it. YMMV if you are running an RB. Weight is the issue but maybe you just had an uncommon issue.
Around here scales are all over the place. Maybe look for a truck stop in LA. You might have to pay to weigh which in my area is seldom but so what. Google public weigh stations to see if you have them in your area.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:56 AM   #12

Oregon allows you to use any DOT truck scale when it is not open for truck enforcement.

If CA does not allow that, you can find a private scale here: http://catscale.com/

Landscape materials lots always have a scale too. Sometime they charge, sometimes they don't. Our local landfill also does free RV weighs.

The cost of your repairs makes me think they did much more that just a seal. At the very least, new bearings and I wouldn't be surprised if they had to replace the axle shaft on the leaky side. You caught your axle problem early. If you kept driving much more, you probably would have lost the entire hub from your axle shaft. Semi-float axles do not have a pretty failure mode.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #13

Gentlemen thanks for all your replies. Caringb, yes, they replaced the axle spindle on the drivers side. I am going to drain and fill the differential soon to be sure I have all of the metal out (if any).

If anyone knows of a wrecked full floater please let me know. I stopped by South Bay auto today to see about bulletproofing this BEAST so as to avoid any further problems. They definitely know their way around a SMB (had two nice looking rigs in the shop). Nice people!
jeepone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #14

Several of us have gotten full floaters from Santa Clara Truck Wreckers. See the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=7980

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote