Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #21

I was referencing to the OP saying he wanted to beef up. I have always thought the front axle should be as strong as the rear, IMO. I was mentioning its weakness by comparing it to the 44 TTB. The TTB 50 like the solid axle 50 has a 9" ring. If I remember correctly there was a limit of ratios available. Another problem with the TTB is it is only available in the leaf spring type application, so additional mods to coil adaption needed. This creates even more TTB installation modifications, crossmember, reinforcement not to mention the bushing sleeve mounts, alignment and tire wear issues. Ford stopped producing trucks with this configuration for a reason and stuck only to solid beam axles! In summary: more mods, more problems, less parts interchangeability and more tire wear, less parts selection just adds up to a negative number for my liking.

Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #22

Having had the TTB 50’s (QuadVan and Agile) under the front of our two vans for the past 16 years, and having had a solid front axle F350 XLT crew cab PU and a Pathfinder Chevy Van before that, I think I have some basis for comment. I have also owned three Quigley’s and have driven lots of 4x4 vans.

I am not Rock Crawling my van and I have no desire for 6 inches of lift.
Nearly 100k miles on the TTB’s w Class 2 and 3 stuff tossed in.
No issues with tire wear, no death wobble, no broken parts.

1200 miles in Baja w two other solid axle vans -
Washboard/ off-road - TTB way better/smoother/faster ride and handling. Better traction in loose sand.
On Road - a properly set up solid axle can ride fine but will not soak up high speed dips or bumps like the TTB.

ymmv
Old 04-14-2019, 04:34 PM   #23

Absolutely in agreement, but the TTB run side by side next to a solid axle under the same conditions, weather, mileage, off road abuse, load, tire size, traction aids will fail before a solid axle under the same conditions. Look I am honestly not here to talk bad about the system, I think it is great for lite duty vehicles, but in a loaded up van grossing at a minimum, 8K-10K, it has no home. I am a true veteran FORD fan, but facts are facts, truth is truth and reality is not a candy coated highway for us. It is miles of deserted back country roads where a broken Y link steering setup can be deadly. There is a reason Ford stop producing them in the heavier gross weight rated trucks, which is what the vans are with the loads we put on them, this says it all! Explorers and F150/Bronco/f250 setup were lite duty trucks and had less abusive force on the style of drive train. Many prerunners use the gutted (removed ring pinion and axles) front setups but they are plated with gussets through out the stamped steel parts. Yes stamped steel that is why they choose these because they can weld them up to strengthen them. I never said the TTB axle ride was good or bad, I said a solid axle ride was as comparable with a coiled setup and it could be as comfortable but much stronger and reliable. I have done numerous trips to Cabo and I would be able to find a solid front set up in a junkyard before a TTB that would fit/match. That is also fact. My coil style 5 link rides better than I could ask for. I carry one link and 2 Heim joints because all my Heim joints are the same size. My links including my panhard bar are the same length, diameter and build. This is how I did my van 19 years ago having raced Baja and knowing I go to Baja as much as I did. If you go to Baja as much as I did you will agree with this; less weight/space on parts means more supplies you can carry without being a overweight overlanding Lorry. Oh, as far as Death Wobble, what is that never seen it or experienced it in my van. I have yet to experience it in my 3 link XJ as well. I have heard guys with Quigleys mention it, but even for them this is far and few in between. I respect everyone and their build but I can not agree on something when a motor company it self discontinues something like they did their choice of diesel motor to improve and correct mistakes.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #24

First off, I am not concerned about reinforcement for the sake of reinforcement. That's how a lot of these vans end up being 10k lbs. I was trying to figure out what made sense for a specific application. I have 0 issues with 4600lb gawr in the front of the van. The V10 is reasonably light for the size that it is, and being an EB - a lot of the weight of the build will be towards the rear where the cargo section will be built. I'm currently leaning towards 33s but debating 35s just for the extra clearance with the long rear overhang, and extra sidewall + better rollover.

Done the solid front axle thing, not interested in this application. Period. Hence why it's going to Agile, and why this thread was to talk about a good axle to match it in the rear - not the merits of a TTB setup.

Duly noted on the semi float failures. Looks like those full float D70s from the 99-01 era are either difficult to find, rusty, or have 300k miles on them. I can find a Sterling pre-'08 that retains the 8x6.5 and doesn't have any RSC goodies on them for a reasonable price so that'll probably be the way I go.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
I can find a Sterling pre-'08 that retains the 8x6.5 and doesn't have any RSC goodies on them for a reasonable price so that'll probably be the way I go.
FYI - F-series have been 8x170mm since '99. Anything older would have drum brakes. Based on parts catalogs, there may have been a few E-series built with a Sterling, but I've never seen one. I suspect they were special order units, like stripped chassis for bread trucks or some other fleet body.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #26

Oh interesting - the parts crossover sheets are pulling up a full float 10.5" diff axle out of the cutaways, which I assumed was the Sterling.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #27

I am very interested to know what can be done to go w 35’s on the Agile TTB setup. Is it more than just fender cutting?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #28

Jesus told me it was doable - my van doesn't go in until August, so I don't have full details yet, but will inquire.

I think he might be here but there's a gentleman with a green RB that has an agile conversion on 35s and wheels the piss out of it - sometimes pulling a trailer. His thread might have some info as well.

Edit: looks like it's Ridge: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...red-16269.html

Might have clearanced the front fenders or gone with fiberglass.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
Oh interesting - the parts crossover sheets are pulling up a full float 10.5" diff axle out of the cutaways, which I assumed was the Sterling.
Dana 70 full float, rated for 7,800#

When you find one, make sure it's not a dually. The SRW and DRW versions cross ref in most databases.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #30

Ah gotcha. My mistake.

Well I have one inbound from NM. Full float, SRW, 4.10 off of a '06 6.0. Thanks for the help folks.