Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2021, 08:15 AM   #11

Lift blocks, if excessively tall, can lead to axle wrap. Your E150 doesn’t make enough torque for that to be an issue.

I just think you’ll have a far better ride without changing ride height if you trade the shortest 2 or 3 leafs with a factory lift block.

I don’t like that bump-stop-landing riser because it magnifies and axle wrap movement, and the bump stops could miss it.

The sumo springs replace the factory bump stops, and engage directly on the axle (or Ford lift blocks). The “riser” for these is basically a plastic puck which is installed between the sumo and frame if you need earlier engagement or have a lift. If you used the Ford lift blocks you probably would not need this puck.

If you go to car-part.com and search by application you should see plenty of good candidates. The one closest to me only $350. Even if shipping is too $ you might be able to use it as a Comp to talk them down on their price.

Since you have a leaf conversion, you could just swap in ‘99-‘04 F250 axles relatively easy. You should be able to buy a set for under $1,000 these days. Takeoff steel wheels are pretty cheap too, and if the axles are “rollers” it means the yard doesn’t want to take the time to even pull the wheels that it came with. You would need to weld on new rear spring perches and shock mount. U-joint sells those parts standalone if you want to go the easy route. I’d guess you’d be all-in for under $2,000 which I know is more than your budget, but but you’d be getting the most value IMO.

BTW - you’d also need a disc brake master cylinder regardless of which disc axle you swap in. They run ~$250.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:10 AM   #12

Thanks. I agree with the ride improvement. The thing drives like a tank! Plus side is it goes around corners quite well and is rock solid at speed on the highway. The amount of lift in the front is kind of ridiculous in a way cause it would take a ridiculous amount of force to get those springs to travel to the stops. I can find E250 axles close by all day long so might go that route and look for a 99-04 front axle if that combo would work. Thanks again for all the info.
Vanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:13 AM   #13

Also there is almost no drop or sag in the front it is so stiff. When going over a sudden transition in road height I can feel the whole van fall rather than the suspension allowing the wheels to drop.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:51 AM   #14

Oh wait a minute. It sounds like I want the springs and blocks from the F250 so might as well get that whole setup if I can. Can the front F250 springs be used and if so what kind of ride height would I expect from them and the rear springs too actually?
Old 05-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #15

The pre-‘07 E150 rear springs were 2.5” wide vs 3” wide for the F&E250+. So you could use those spring if you put on new spring hangers/shackles. I can’t tell what you have up front.

It’s pretty hard to predict ride height using F-series springs compared to the spring you have now. You definitely have more leafs than and F250 has but that’s not the whole story. Spring rates and arch affect it too.
Old 05-25-2021, 12:15 PM   #16

More good info. I'll check and see what my spring widths are. Would the 250 springs give more ride height than stock E150 springs?
Old 05-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #17

Yes, F250 springs would be quite a bit taller than stock E150 springs. Probably 4” or more.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #18

If you end up needing to re-gear to 373, I have a good ring and pinion set for a D60 I'll donate to you for postage only..............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:03 PM   #19

Thanks arctictraveller I'll def keep that in mind. Carringb Im in NW Arkansas, 2,000 miles from you, so shipping from your area could be more than the cost of the rear axle. Also I looked at carpart.com for F250 axles and came up with many many options that I have no idea about like S409H, S412B, S413B, V419A, and so on...