Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #1

Rear disc conversion

How hard is it to convert my rear drum brake axle to disc brakes? Was looking into doing an axle swap but cannot find a disc brake E150 5 lug axle anywhere locally. Also it looks like there has been some custom fabrication done on the rear axle that I would rather not spend the time to reproduce.

Also can anyone recomend a good way to treat the rust that is showing up from my trip home with the van when I purchased it. Guess I should have rinse it thouroghly as soon as I got home. They don't salt the roads where I live so didn't realize just how aggresive that stuff can be. The springs were brand new when I took delivery of the van.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
20210514_135213_HDR.jpg  

Vanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:10 PM   #2

That’s a lot of leaves over that axle. Are you sure you don’t need a heavier axle?

That’s also not a typical way to extend the bump stops. You be better off ditching that and the extra leafs and instead using the f-series leaf block with built-in bump stop surface.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:59 PM   #3

That's just how the van came. They are atlas springs. I have no idea how much weight they are designed for or how much lift they are supposed to give. It's a very basic interior so not a heavy build. I think the springs are probably some of the heaviest components of this build. The front springs are super stiff. I've attached a pic of them as well.

There are a lot of things about the build that seem a little less than ideal but it was the best I could do in my price range. It is a very stiff ride I will admit. Right now. I would just like to get some discs in the rear and not having any luck sourcing an axle.
Attached Thumbnails
20210103_145934_HDR.jpg  
Old 05-14-2021, 11:59 PM   #4

Looks like there’s quite a few available. You will need to verify your gear ratio so you don’t end up with a front rear mismatch. You might as well upgrade to the 9.75” if you don’t already have one. I don’t see any benefit you keeping those bizarre bump stop platforms. Just upgrade to Sumo springs instead (they replace the bump stops) and install the optional riser discs that should come in the kit.

https://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi
Old 05-15-2021, 10:20 AM   #5

That link didn't work for some reason.

It is a 9.75 and have been looking for a 2004 - 2006 (disc brake) E150 9.75 rear axle assembly at every local salvage yard with no luck. Current gearing is 3.55 but looking for a 3.73 since I will prob be going through the front axle so may as well re-gear at alt that point.

Trying to not spend thousands of dollars in the process as well or at least not all it once.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:21 AM   #6

I searched that site and the closest axle was almost 300 miles away and over $2k with the core charge.

Is it possible to convert my axle to disc brakes?
Old 05-16-2021, 07:27 AM   #7

Carringb what are the riser discs you mentioned in your last reply?
Old 05-16-2021, 09:33 PM   #8

That all sounds like really good advice. I would actually love to ditch both axles and upgrade to beefier units and some 18" wheels to fit those axles. Meanwhile the wife's vehicle needs brakes and the ac in my van needs some work and the street bike needs fork seals and a new top end for the dirt bike then the floors in the house and maybe the roof, blah blah blah....Too many iron's in the fire and only so much fundage. The rear axle is grumbling though so maybe just bite the bullet and get a rebuilt unit?
Old 05-24-2021, 06:20 AM   #9

Carringb can you elaborate on the F series leaf block? Are you talking about the spring perch that's welded to the axle or the plate that sandwiches the leafs to the axle? Prob will not be buying new springs anytime soon since its not a super big priority. Right now my biggest concern is getting the best stoppers I can, fixing a groaning axle and hopefully getting a little more gearing in the process. I would LOVE to upgrade both axles to 8 lug units but that is just not in the cards right now as I only have about 1k to put into the van right now and have other things that need to be done to get it a little more liveable.

I am considering looking into swapping both axles but have no idea where to start there as far as the front axle and it would have to be done over time as finances allow. Would have to either drive it as is till everything came together or drive around with mismatched wheels fore and aft till I could do the front swap.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:12 AM   #10

Ok duh I see what they are now. They are basically lift blocks. Interesting most of the advice I've read on the internet is to avoid lift blocks if it all possible.