Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #11

I'm still wondering if what you are seeing is antifreeze, not compressor oil. The coolant system can be pressure tested too. Once it's pressurized, if it has a leak, in addition to not holding pressure, you might see additional green fluid dripping out, which would confirm what it was. If the A/C system really held up to a pressure test, I'd suspect the heater core. It would be interesting to know if the A/C system was still up to full pressure too.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:07 AM   #12

I really doubt that the AC held the pressure test as they claimed. They did say it was down on refrigerant when they first checked it. I could hear a small leak when I put my ear over the AC output duct.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:09 AM   #13

With the rear heater core being forward of the blower, and in a separate duct, it's very unlikely it would make its way into the A/C sump without soaking the floor inside the van.

IMO further wall panel disassembly is not needed.

Also I doubt you have much grounds for a warranty claim, unless the van is still under warranty, since the previous work did not involve the currently leaking component. A small leak can easily pass a pressure test.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:20 AM   #14
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
A bit late replying here but random thoughts.....

-Testing the green fluid for coolant or refrigerant oil is easy---oil will be slippery, the coolant not so much. A UV light would show if this is the A/C system oil or not.

-According to the latest photos where we see the spring lock couplings that connect the evaporator to the under body lines---there is no sign of the greenish fluid around them, suggesting they're not leaking.

-I'm in full agreement with CarringB---the heater coil is too far forward of the evaporator well for what you're seeing to be coolant.

-At this point you've done a wonderful job of uncovering this rear system.

If the dealership is your only choice of repair facilities hold onto your wallet---it won't be cheap to fix by any means. If you have a local repair outfit that specializes in limo's, shuttle buses or such they'd be a better and maybe slightly less expensive route. They would have a good choice of aftermarket replacement parts that don't carry the high prices from dealerships. I've had good luck with aftermarket imported A/C & heater parts---almost any local radiator supply house would be a good place to start looking.

Hope this gets worked out for the right price.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:40 AM   #15

Joe - see Todd at Alouis Repair on McAllister. They have done all my and rallypanam’s AC diagnostics and repair on our rigs and flips. They know the AC systems both factory duals like yours and the StarCool setups as well. Fair prices for SF.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
A bit late replying here but random thoughts.....

-Testing the green fluid for coolant or refrigerant oil is easy---oil will be slippery, the coolant not so much. A UV light would show if this is the A/C system oil or not.

-I'm in full agreement with CarringB---the heater coil is too far forward of the evaporator well for what you're seeing to be coolant. :
I'm pretty sure a UV light will only show up refrigerant oil if UV dye has been added, I don't think it's normally included in a charge.

As for the heater coil being too far away for coolant to be appearing where the green fluid is, I've never owned a rear air so I was probably mistaken, but it sure looks like coolant. Good luck.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
If the dealership is your only choice of repair facilities hold onto your wallet---it won't be cheap to fix by any means. If you have a local repair outfit that specializes in limo's, shuttle buses or such they'd be a better and maybe slightly less expensive route. They would have a good choice of aftermarket replacement parts that don't carry the high prices from dealerships. I've had good luck with aftermarket imported A/C & heater parts---almost any local radiator supply house would be a good place to start looking.

Hope this gets worked out for the right price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Joe - see Todd at Alouis Repair on McAllister. They have done all my and rallypanam’s AC diagnostics and repair on our rigs and flips. They know the AC systems both factory duals like yours and the StarCool setups as well. Fair prices for SF.

Well, I did give the dealer a shot to fix it, but after three days they hadn't even looked at it yet, and I need the van this weekend. They said they would look at it tomorrow, but I said "No, don't touch it. I'm on my way down to pick it up." I had trusted them to be able to fix it in 4 days, but not in one day.

Ray, thanks for the recommendation for Alouis. I wish I had contacted you earlier as its too late for them to work on it before my trip, but I told them I'll bring it in when I get back.

Oh well. Looks like a road trip to Idaho with no A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I'm pretty sure a UV light will only show up refrigerant oil if UV dye has been added, I don't think it's normally included in a charge.

Dealer mentioned they had added the dye when they had it last week.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Well, I did give the dealer a shot to fix it, but after three days they hadn't even looked at it yet, and I need the van this weekend.
Sorry to hear this. Would this dealer happen to be the one in Colma?

Just for everyone future benefit, I attached photos of the HVAC assembly with the blower removed and heater core cover removed, detail look at how connections for the heater core connections pass thru the upper housing, so it stays with the upper housing unless you disconnect the hoses (something I forgot earlier), and finally the evaporator core and the lower housing.
Attached Thumbnails
20190627_115656.jpg   20190627_115718.jpg   20190627_120003.jpg  
Czar308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar308 View Post
Sorry to hear this. Would this dealer happen to be the one in Colma?

Yeah, that's the one. Definitely losing trust in them.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:08 AM   #20
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar308 View Post

Just for everyone future benefit, I attached photos of the HVAC assembly with the blower removed and heater core cover removed.
I have this entire assembly minus the evaporator that's been removed from my E350---if its of value I could post images of the case split apart.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote