Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #11

Re: Rear suspension options for lifted 2WD

Deaver makes a fine product and can certainly fix you up, there are others options out there as well. Atlas spring http://atlassuspension.com/ is also in SoCal and they were willing to work with me (on a different project, leaf sprung 4x4 front end with 18" travel) when Deaver told me I was smoking crack. Many of my rock crawlin' buddies have used Alcan Spring http://alcanspring.com/ and have very positive things to say. Just throwing some more ideas out there!

TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #12

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

We offer a full length Add-a Leaf that goes directly under the top main leaf and is wrapped under both spring eyes to fully support the main spring. It has the same profile as the stock leafs and will add 1 to 1.25 inches of lift. We also have additional factory leafs that can be added for additional lift or side to side corrections. National Spring also makes custom spring packs for us.

I am so confident that our custom valved FOX shocks will solve your handling problem, that I will remove them and return your van back to where you started, for free, if you are not happy with the results.

The FOX shocks are so superior the the other off the shelf brands people are using - there is no comparing, and only $130.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #13

Thanks everyone,
I have one week old Bilstains, can those be revalved.

I'll have to start driving to some of the recommended places and compare. As I said i like the idea of more travel and plushness but as indicated this is a heavy thing and may be too much cost for not so much return. So adding a few leafs is looking like the best option right now. Agile, I'll email you separately for more specifics.

Again, thanks for the info I sure know a lot more about my options after all the feedback.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:21 PM   #14

Garage

Here is were I had mine weighed for the dmv.

NELSON MOVING & STORAGE, INC.
25742 ATLANTIC OCEAN
LAKE FOREST
(949) 582-0380
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/dms/publicscales/view.aspx?c=30
pinz712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
....cut......

Chance; How do I weight the truck? I live on SoCal, close to Irvine
I've weighed mine a few times on truck scales not too far from home. It's a truck fuel station that has certified scales. I'd bet that a Google search would reveal one not too far from you. Or you can weigh it during a trip. It normally cost me less than $10.00.

When you pull up to the scales, make sure you stop with the front and rear axles on different sections of the scales so the printed ticket will show weight for each axle separately.

BTW, nice looking van. I now see what you mean about the front being higher.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #16

Great info, thankyou everyone!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #17

So I went to Deaver today to discuss my options, Jeff the 4th generation owner immediately took care of me. To make for a short story, two hours later I had one leaf added, nicely painted springs and two more inches of lift. Van seats about 1/2 inch's higher in the back. Perfect as I have 1/4 tank of water and 1/2 tank of Dsl.

As he is putting everything back together he noticed that my cast iron blocks had seen a better day and immediately fixed me up with some Ford OEM steel blocks he had on the yard. The mechanics allowed me to observe the operation and kindly answered my many questions.

I left with a big smile and ready for my Anza Borrego trip this week-end. Thanks Jeff!

Below some pics of the work in progress and Jeff the Owner next to my completed SMB
Old 03-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #18

One of two
Attached Thumbnails
Deaver 1.1.jpg  
Old 03-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #19

Jeff the Owner, by the way. Van rides GREAT! let see how she behaves on the dirt this week end.
Attached Thumbnails
Deaver 2.1.jpg  
Old 03-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #20

Great to hear of quick fix Nick. If you get a chance, will you post a side-view picture of the van after the lift for aesthetic comparison? And also another of the spring pack to compare how the overload leaf is loaded after the modification?
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote