Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #1

Rear Sway Bar Options

what have you SMB people done for a rear sway bar???

anyone use one off of a 1ton frod truck????

im working with E350

thanks

MrWicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #2

Re: Rear Sway Bar Options

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtop...hilit=Sway+bar
Old 04-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #3

well we are going to try a rear anti sway from a 1ton ford we will see how it fits.... i cam get them all day long...
Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #4

Stock F-series rear bars are pretty small for the vans.

Hellwig makes an affordable rear bar. I went with the E450 Motorhome bar due to the heavy loads I carry on my roof. Just remember that increasing rear roll stiffness can cause oversteer, unless traction is increased (wider tires or even just wider track) or front roll stiffness is also increased.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #5

the sway bar i got i took off a f350 crew cab long bead the bar size is 1 1/8 dia
Old 04-15-2022, 03:48 PM   #6

Garage
Updating an old thread....

I would like to add a rear stabilizer bar to my 2wd E250. The van weighs about 7800 lbs. and has a fixed high top. I would like to improve handling in cross winds and paved corners, without creating problems on rough roads.

I have the OEM front bar, and assuming the OEM rear bar is the best match for that. I have read about the Hellwig rear bar, but concerned it might be too stiff, and also cost more. Does anybody have input on that question?

If I do get the OEM rear bar, I'll need to purchase all the parts but it isn't clear what all is needed. Not even clear if my van has the right mounting lugs for it. Any help there? I would just have a shop do it but there are no suspension specialty shops in our area.
Old 04-15-2022, 04:35 PM   #7

Garage
We recently installed a Hellwig rear sway bar (with quick disconnects). It's a hefty bar, but then I have close to 6600lbs on the rear so they work great with my weight. Have not had any issues develop with steering, and have gained noticeable benefit with stability and cornering. Very pleased with the addition.
I made contact with Hellwig and discussed the best option for my application (mainly because I have a dana 80 axle on the rear) - very helpful and accommodating - it was an informative experience so I'd recommend you do the same.

EDIT: Let me also add I've noticed that when I traveled on the smaller country roads which change elevation frequently (road grade dips to the right & left continuously) I had to steer through that constantly (not bad since my FE is pretty tight, but the weight of the van would shift and a small correction was needed to compensate) - with the rear sway bar I have very little of this now which makes those drives considerably more relaxing.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:56 PM   #8

Garage
I guess there's not much experience with the OEM rear sway bar for the vans. I found the parts on the fiche but can't find any used ones or any reports of installations.
Old 04-16-2022, 01:55 PM   #9

Rear Sway Bar Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
I guess there's not much experience with the OEM rear sway bar for the vans. I found the parts on the fiche but can't find any used ones or any reports of installations.

I pulled an OEM rear sway bar and end links from an E450 van at a junkyard for $35. Installed it on my 98 E250 with no issues. Has to drill 1-2 holes in the frame and source u-bolts for the axle as the source van had the mount points welded onto the axle.

On my 2011 E250 trip I installed a Helwig bar and don’t notice any difference between the two. Both vans are 2WD EB full SMB builds.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 04:12 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I pulled an OEM rear sway bar and end links from an E450 van at a junkyard for $35. Installed it on my 98 E250 with no issues. Has to drill 1-2 holes in the frame and source u-bolts for the axle as the source van had the mount points welded onto the axle.

On my 2011 E250 trip I installed a Helwig bar and don’t notice any difference between the two. Both vans are 2WD EB full SMB builds.
I did find one E450 rear bar on ebay. It was $200 with no hardware. Good idea to check the junkyards.