Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #11

Re: Rear Wheel Adapters/Spacers

Just to clarify I would suggest not using a grinding wheel to cut the studs, you get a lot of heat that way.. I know I've cut a lot of steel for lack of something better. A good cut off wheel like John recommends is thin and will not heat as bad. Still take your time and maybe cut a little on each stud on a wheel round robin.

You can probably also use lug nuts (real ones that are just a nut) and washers to space your cuts so all the studs are the same (e.g. two washers and a nut, cut at the face, or 4 washers and a nut, cut at the face).

Old 06-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #12
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I just ordered and recieved in a few days 2" aluminum rear wheel adapters for the van. I got them from Fred at wheeladaptor.com very fast service, they look to be very well made, I will post a follow up and some photos after they are installed tomorrow along with some new Toyo M/T's. Instead of the recommended 1-3/4" from sportsmobile, as with LeadDoggy, I went with 2" on his and Fred's suggestion so that we did not have to grind down the original stud mounts. I also went with hub and wheel-centric, acording to Fred that makes the wheel more stable and less likely to be tightened down off center, now I just have to see if the center caps still fit, as I did not take those into consideration when ordering, if not I have to ditch them.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #13

I bought some spacers too. I'm wondering if they could be used strictly as spacers. I don't like the idea of bolting them on and bolting the wheels to them. I'm thinking some long--3.5"-4"--high performance wheel studs and then sandwiching them between the hub and wheel. Anyone know of any manufacturer of high performance wheel studs? ARP makes some screw in ones http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku but I haven't been able to find studs that match my '02. What size would we need? Sway Away makes some 14mmx1.5x80mm http://www.swayaway.com/WheelStudsAndNuts.php .

Wonderin'
Old 06-03-2009, 12:58 AM   #14

REF, for confirmation, the 2" wheel adapters you received are aluminum? I understand there are various aluminum alloys available, but I was not aware of any wheel adapters rated for the weight of the E-350 SMB. I am aware of aluminum wheel spacers, but they do not see the load or torque that the adapters are subject to.

I just want to throw out a word of caution, please confirm that they're rated properly to prevent any serious consequences.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:29 PM   #15
REF

Hi John, thanks for the heads up, I will double check with him tomorrow, I have not yet installed them, but I believe they are of high quality billet aluminum. I am not certain if I gave him the weight of the van, but I did have a choice between aluminum or steel, maybe should have gone with the steel ones. The aluminum ones are what he uses for drag/race cars as well, so I would figure that with the amount of torque applied to the adapters in that app. they should be good to go?
Here is a quote from his website:
"We use the highest quality USA-made ALCOA 6061-T6 billet aluminum for aluminum adapters and the highest quality American-made steel for our steel adapters."

Follow up...

I just got off the phone with Fred, by the way as a side note, it is very refreshing to be able to call (or e-mail) a company and have the owner pick up to answer any questions, very nice guy who, from the sound of it, knows what he's doing. Anyway, he reasured me that his aluminum wheel adapters would be no problem for the weight of our vans. The ALCOA billet aluminim that he uses is the same stuff that semis wheels are made from and that pleasure way uses for adapters on thier vans. I also asked if there was any load capacity difference between the aluminum and the steel adapters, he said no, some people just prefer one over the other, I wanted the aluminum because it saved some weight. He stands behind his product and will replace them for whatever reason, fitment or otherwise, but has never seen a failure, and that the tires/wheels will be the first to go under any overload conditions.

Hope this helps, certainly put me at ease. I will post some pics of the adapters and the van as soon as they are installed.

Wheeladapter.com
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 06-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeemo
I bought some spacers too. I'm wondering if they could be used strictly as spacers. I don't like the idea of bolting them on and bolting the wheels to them. I'm thinking some long--3.5"-4"--high performance wheel studs and then sandwiching them between the hub and wheel. Anyone know of any manufacturer of high performance wheel studs? ARP makes some screw in ones http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku but I haven't been able to find studs that match my '02. What size would we need? Sway Away makes some 14mmx1.5x80mm http://www.swayaway.com/WheelStudsAndNuts.php .

Wonderin'
No, you want to use them as adapters like everyone else. Even 1/4" wheel spacers that sandwich in between are problematic, which is why few shop will install them. The sandwich setup allows for movement which will eventually cause the lugnuts to loosen and come off.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #17

Quote:
No, you want to use them as adapters like everyone else. Even 1/4" wheel spacers that sandwich in between are problematic, which is why few shop will install them. The sandwich setup allows for movement which will eventually cause the lugnuts to loosen and come off.
Makes sense. Perhaps if they were hub-centric. I know Porsche 930's had thick spacers behind their rear wheels, but they were certainly hub-centric and the spacers were steel.

Thanks
Tom
Old 03-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #18

Wheel Spacer affect axle and bearings

Wheel spacers cause additional stress on axles and bearings. Need to be careful not to exceed derated capacities after spacers are installed.
dieseldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #19

I have 2" aluminum spacers on all 4 corners of my EB.
I've personally never seen a failure of spacers. I've seen failure of install and torque, but not of the spacer itself. Here in Colorado, spacers on everything is common. Proper torque, check multiple times, and then add a step to each oil change by checking the torque again and you should be good. IMO

I should note: My van is 90% road use and 10% off road to trail heads here in the western states. If I were to do serious off roading then I would upgrade to steel spacers.
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #20
REF

I haven’t had an issue with my 2” rear aluminum spacers in over 12 years and 100K miles since installing them, and our rig sees plenty of rocks, dirt and sand from CO, UT, AK, Baja and the roads between....it’s everything else around them that breaks down. Yes, spacers puts added stress on the axles, semi floats especially, but mine held on for a good while before I just put in the FF.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top