Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #11

Re: Rebuid or trade up? transmission advice needed

Your selected shop should be able to go over all of the upgrade options... a big warning sign is if they don't, can't explain things in terms you understand, or anything doesn't match up with the info here.

If you don't rebuild/replace, you're stuck selling a van with a slipping tranny- that could be a bargain for somebody, but likely a difficult prospect.

Also, the limited slip/locking differential/full floater don't have anything to do with your transmission, and you probably won't get any deals from shops doing both at once since no labor can be saved (unlike say getting new ring & pinion and doing a locker at the same time).

Quote:
I had a coworker just go through a rear differential rebuild on his 1995 suburban. After 3 tries, they got it right but it was so discouraging and pricey for him that he sold the car.
Don't go to that guy! Ring and pinion can be done in a home garage for most axles, but takes some care, the right tools, a bit of skill, and likely a heaping helping of patience.

I absolutely HATE mechanics, and I'm convinced they break 6 things while charging you to not fix the one. If it were me, I would find a hole in the wall tranny guy who you only hear about through the grapevine and has a resume that includes actual tanks or something, but regardless is known for flawless rebuilds. Getting it done right is better than a national warranty, and I seem to have better luck with these places when they come with good recommendations.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #12

An idea I've had several friends use is to go to the local police/CHP station and find out who does their tranny work. Usually a pretty good outfit. Just a thot anyway....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #13

Just for what it's worth, or FWIW, as they say in the land of bits and ions, my little fantasy is to have John at Quadvan install a rebuilt Torqueshift one day to replace my 4R75.

Just dreaming...
Old 12-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadcat
Just for what it's worth, or FWIW, as they say in the land of bits and ions, my little fantasy is to have John at Quadvan install a rebuilt Torqueshift one day to replace my 4R75.

Just dreaming...
My dream would be a little different - I'd love to have a manual transmission! A nice 6 spd from a new F-350.

Again, Just dreaming.....

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #15

A manual trans would be nice. I wonder how tough that would be?

Update on the rebuild. I checked with a couple of chains (Eagle, etc). No estimate unless I brought it in. Ok. I took it to Eagle Transmission. No estimate unless I left is for 3 hours. I asked for a price for a total rebuild or a Ford remanufactured. No estimate unless I left it for 3 hours. Jerks.

Found a place out in the rougher part of town. Transmission shop, total rebuild, upgraded heavy duty parts (including the torque converter). $2,200. Sounds about right.

Nobody wanted to order a Jasper and install it.

Thanks for the help.
bluedog225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog225
Nobody wanted to order a Jasper and install it.
Less profit?

Can you find a local hole in the wall mechanic who wouldn't rebuild but would install a Jasper?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #17

My torqueflite 727 converter went and wiped the tranny-parts and labor 12/12 warranty $1200 out the door. The trans w/tc is $850.
CATANDWALTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #18

Can you elaborate on "upgraded parts"? My buddies 05 expedition 5.4 tranny is slipping and dealer quoted him $2,500 for rebuilt, $3,000 for new. I dont know much about ford tranny's, only have experience with toyota stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I would also suggest avoiding Aamco.

I actually recommend getting a Ford reman. The price is competitive, and comes with warranty, and will be built with all the 4R100 upgrades.

No matter which shop you use, be sure it does get the upgrades done.

I had my '94 trans rebuilt by a local shop. It did let the rear seal go while off-roading in about 3' of snow about 6 months later, but the Ford dealer it was towed to just replaced the seal, and I never has a problem after that.
JMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMan
Can you elaborate on "upgraded parts"? My buddies 05 expedition 5.4 tranny is slipping and dealer quoted him $2,500 for rebuilt, $3,000 for new. I dont know much about ford tranny's, only have experience with toyota stuff.
No upgrades are needed on the Expy. It's the older Fords, like 1990's models, that have the E4OD. When that transmission is rebuilt, it can be rebuilt with the same parts as the newer 4R100 transmission.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #20

Gotcha. Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMan
No upgrades are needed on the Expy. It's the older Fords, like 1990's models, that have the E4OD. When that transmission is rebuilt, it can be rebuilt with the same parts as the newer 4R100 transmission.
JMan is offline   Reply With Quote