Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2022, 01:51 PM   #1

Recommendations wanted for 6.0 PSD mechanic in /near Bakersfield

Four hours into our Baja trip and just lost my vacuum pump. While I wait to hear back from the dealership thought I'd see if anyone has an independent shop recommendation in the area.

2005 E350 6.0PSD

Thanks!

pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:53 PM   #2

Garage
No doubt you're anxious to get back on the road again, Can only offer you this (in the event you have not used it yet):
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...acDZ1ytKxt-8ty

Most look like they are south of you.
Old 10-17-2022, 05:42 PM   #3

Thanks. After being jerked around and eventually refused tow service by AAA, I very cautiously drove the 25 miles to the dealership and they immediately took it in back to evaluate. The vacuum pump did generate enough vacuum on the freeway to get some more stops out of it!

So happy it died when and where it did! A silver lining thing.....

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
Old 10-17-2022, 07:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
Thanks. After being jerked around and eventually refused tow service by AAA...
Let's here some details.

Herb
Old 10-18-2022, 12:38 PM   #5

A 3.5 hour long story made very short....

Where for the last 16 years AAA has towed me without any issues at all on the Plus plan, yesterday they quizzed me to no end on the contents of the van to determine it is not qualified under that plan. No offer to upgrade my plan or otherwise. Three of four main people I talked to showed little to no compassion for my situation and appeared that it was their job to find a way to not assist. The last person did at least appeared to care although found no solution.

After reviewing AAA plans this morning I understand that my van is not technically covered under the Plus plan. This however had never once been raised as an issue for me to resolve until I needed it again. The precedent had been set so I had no reason to think I wasn't covered. The manner in which they "handled" me was simply awful.

I signed up for the appropriate GoodSam policy this morning and am questioning if I keep my house and cars insured by AAA as they have been for over 20 years based on this experience.

Rant over....

Old 10-18-2022, 01:02 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
After reviewing AAA plans this morning I understand that my van is not technically covered under the Plus plan.
Apologize because I know you're just wanting to continue on with your Trip, but real curious (if and when you have the time) what you uncovered which now disqualifies your Van for a tow request?
Old 10-18-2022, 01:29 PM   #7

Still waiting on the van so just sitting here now.

The fact that it had beds or couch that could be made into a bed set them off. In the beginning of the saga they kept asking over and over what was in the van. I explained it was packed with camping gear for a Baja trip. Then they kept drilling deeper and deeper. I was in total disbelief of how it all went down. I do have a formal complaint into AAA now and the last supervisor said she would also enter a complaint on my behalf (which I thought was a little odd but said ok).

Old 10-18-2022, 01:51 PM   #8

Garage
This issue came up a while ago - someone else posted a similar issue, At that time I called AAA and clarified exactly what I had (Van Size & Height, Weight, 4x4 & large Tires, and that it was a fully self contained RV) to see if it would still qualify for coverage. Talked to a couple people (as I went up their Corporate ladder) and all stated I would not have any issue.
So very surprised to hear of your dilemma, especially in light of the fact they've already serviced you several times. Guess I'll be making another call.
Thanks for responding, and Hope your situation takes a quick turn for the better.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:01 PM   #9

I'm going to take it back up with AAA when I get home from this trip but I can't see spending one more minute on the phone with them now. I logged over 2 hours of calls with them yesterday.

Let me know what you find.

Old 10-23-2022, 10:17 AM   #10

Garage
I was towed a few times as a 'Van' under AAA plus, both times for close to a 100 miles, yet during those tows heard some rumblings about it being an RV and not covered by AAA plus, so I upgraded to AAA RV. I also bought AAA engine batteries. Rob
Quote:
A 3.5 hour long story made very short....

Where for the last 16 years AAA has towed me without any issues at all on the Plus plan, yesterday they quizzed me to no end on the contents of the van to determine it is not qualified under that plan. No offer to upgrade my plan or otherwise. Three of four main people I talked to showed little to no compassion for my situation and appeared that it was their job to find a way to not assist. The last person did at least appeared to care although found no solution.

After reviewing AAA plans this morning I understand that my van is not technically covered under the Plus plan. This however had never once been raised as an issue for me to resolve until I needed it again. The precedent had been set so I had no reason to think I wasn't covered. The manner in which they "handled" me was simply awful.

I signed up for the appropriate GoodSam policy this morning and am questioning if I keep my house and cars insured by AAA as they have been for over 20 years based on this experience.

Rant over....
Fool120 is offline   Reply With Quote