Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2022, 06:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmarcus View Post
The diesel is gone. It's a 2003 Quigley v10 now.

Ah, in that case... most modern gas powered engines use an oxygen sensor before and after the cat, the ECU does a comparison. If there's no difference, the ECU believes the cat isn't working, and throws a code. At least that is how I understand most modern systems Ford uses to work. There's workarounds and such, all illegal at the Federal level, and in most states, where frankly the 'juice isn't worth the squeeze' so to speak.

If I were in your shoes, I'd just leave it in place and install a 'cat cage'. There's several good designs out there, purchase or make my own from aircraft cable and oversize muffler clamps. If it gets stolen, then think about a 'work around'. But that's me.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmarcus View Post
This may be a taboo subject but will my van run normal without a catalytic converter? I can live with a warning light if that is the only issue it creates. Of course I would never run my vehicle without a cat, just curious.
NO, !! Your O2 Sensor will not alow your system into Closed loop.. so you may think it runs fine but you will never get into closed loop so you will have awful gas mileage. Do not remove your Cat.. build a Shield Around it that makes it very hard to remove .
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:09 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzila View Post
Do not remove your Cat.. build a Shield Around it that makes it very hard to remove .
Or get yourself a Rottweiler, chain it to the van's frame and let him stand watch overnight for you.

One thing that would greatly curtail cat theft is our local law enforcement to crack down on the scrap yards buying suspect converters from walk-in customers. Remove the financial no-questions-asked benefits and this would slow down greatly.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 01:55 PM   #14

Unless your vehicle is smog exempt, with a check engine light on you wont be able to pass smog. Not to mention failing due to numbers exceeding limits or failing visual inspection.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:09 PM   #15

This may sound like a backasswards approach, but... is there a market for aftermarket cats too, or just the OEM? I ask because I've seen a trend of entire vehicles being stolen, then found a day later parked somewhere (usually just somewhere away from residential areas) with the cat missing, some of the unluckier ones are also set on fire. If an aftermarket cat is worthless to them, maybe that's an option to prevent not just cat theft, but maybe whole vehicle theft?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:24 PM   #16

A theif doesn't know an OEM cat from aftermarket. They look close enough. They steal mid-stream mufflers because they look like a cat. Most people who drive don't even know the difference. I bet 1 in a 100 people could tell the difference between a cat and a muffler.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
A theif doesn't know an OEM cat from aftermarket. They look close enough. They steal mid-stream mufflers because they look like a cat. Most people who drive don't even know the difference. I bet 1 in a 100 people could tell the difference between a cat and a muffler.

Geez, how stupid ARE people nowadays?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6258.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	43174
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6259.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	43175
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote