Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to garymarshall
replacement fuel tank-gas

While filling up in Columbus for a trip to Nashville..... after pumping around 28-29 gal. I noticed a gas puddle forming under my van....a rust free 1993 E-series Coachman purchased in Bakersfield Ca.. I continued the trip without incident and made it to Nashville without refueling. When fueling up for the trip home I paid close attention to how much fuel was in the tank before any leaking began...again it was 28-29 gal. Obviously a new tank is in order. I would like to replace the old 35gal. tank with a 40gal. or slightly larger so that I can extend my driving range between fill ups. I am getting around 380 miles from one tank with my newly installed re manufactured 5.8 liter engine. at around 11 1/2 per mile. A range closer to 450 miles would be my goal. Can anyone in the forum advise me on how to proceed and where I could purchase what I need. Thanks, Gary.

garymarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #2

First of all it may not be the tank that is leaking. It may be the fill and vent hoses. That was the case with my rig. If it is the tank then contact Agile Off Road. They offer a 40 gallon tank.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #3

On the '92-'95 vans, the pump to tank gasket is a common failure point, and will leak just how you describe. Fix is a new fuel pump, since the old style pump is obsolete, and if its never been replaced, it's on borrowed time anyways. The new style pump will require an adapter harness to work, but the parts store should have it cross-listed with the pump. And I would definitely change the fill and vent hoses on anything that old when dropping the tank.

As for aftermarket, there's not much readily available. You could maybe see if the U-Joint Offroad tank can be retrofitted to your year.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:38 AM   #4

The van is now in indoor storage until April ....out of the snow.....so I will be collecting the needed parts as I can and have them installed then. Once again the sportsmobile forum community has come through! Thanks for the advice and extending your knowledge to another member. Happy holidays everyone! Gary
Old 11-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #5

I second the fuel fill line. Had bought an Airstream B190 on the E350 chassis and after picking it up I went to fill the tank only to smell the fuel and see the leaking. I assumed it was the tank and just ordered one from Rockauto before I left the station. Days later I get home and the tank has arrived only to find that while lowering the tank that the fill hose is dry rotted. Rockauto, at the time, sold the entire fill assembly. Then it was all new and done. I did it the hard way. Check that hose.
Good luck, Doug
dbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:50 AM   #6

Thanks for the heads up Doug, Gary