Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #11

Re: Replacing a 460 Big Block

If there is not cancer-rust:
If you plan to drive it into the ground, then do the motor.
If you plan to "get your investment back" by selling it in 2 years, don't.

That's assuming moving the 4x4 and other systems to a different vehicle isn't significantly cheaper.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kids
Plan D (or E or F or ..)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3335524009.html

Ad says replaced V10 a couple of years ago, rebuilt tranny about 4 years ago. Asking $2995, could maybe get it for a bit lower especially with the recent spike in gas prices which seems to spook everyone. From the picts it has a full floating rearend. Once acquired how difficult to swap over the 4WD pieces (assuming it interchanges well)?

Anyways, just a thought.

Ray
06 E350 RB
06 E350 Quigley V10
That van cannot have the V10, unless they also did a complete transmission and wiring and electronics swap at the same time. V10 didn't come out until '97 model year, and all of the V10s have the updated dashboard.

It most likely has the 460, and if the work stated was done, still is a good deal.And yes, it will have the full-float. The Full-float did not start making its way out of the extended wagons until '01 (at which point it became hit and miss).

If you plan on keeping the van a long time, re-powering it is a good option. But you would never make the money back on re-sale if you did decide to sell it. When my motor finally goes (I'm hoping it'll make at least 500,000) I may re-power it. Either with a 5.9 Cummins, or re-build the V10 with upgraded Mustang internals so I can twin-turbo it (Turbo shop thinks it's probably fine as-is, so that part may happen sooner).
Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #13

Correct. I emailed the seller and he says it has a 460, his booboo in the ad.

Hope this helps™,
Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
The stock cast exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking. Banks makes a really nice set of headers for the 460, which won't leak, and will add a lot more power if you install the complete PowerPack set.
x2 on the manifolds. The later ones (My '88 F350 w/460cu in for instance) has the improved cast STEEL manifolds, which are far superior to the crack-prone cast iron ones. But the problem with the later ones is getting them machined flat during the course of an engine rebuild is expensive, the steel manifolds are tough as nails compared to cast iron. Also, the manifold bolt threads seize in the heads, break off when you try to remove them, the broke-off threaded sections are all but impossible to extract yourself (ask me how I know). When you reassemble, you need to use brand new Ford factory titanium exhaust manifold bolts from Ford, which are a little 'spendy', but not too bad for titanium hardware, maybe $8/bolt if I remember right.

The other trick with the 1980's 460's, that supposedly gains a little more mpg, and (as I'm told) noticeably more torque, is to advance the cam (retarded by the factory to help with emissions, but turned this mountain motor into an ant hill) by means of either A) using a different timing chain set, B) degreeing in the cam yourself and drilling a new dowel hole, or C) just using a new low-to-mid-rpm range performance Engle camshaft and matching lifters. I'm told it will still pass California Emissions testing (non-dyno). BTW, I have said new Engle cam and lifters that I never got around to installing, for sale cheap, if you need them, as my 1988 F350 is about to get a new home.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #15

Ok so I replaced the 460 and tinkered with all the other things that come up after replacing an engine. Felt like it was running pretty good. Then we moved from Bozeman MT to Leavenworth WA and an hour away from getting there my differential got mangled. Think it lost all its oil along the way and chewed itself to death. Now I got to put about another 2000 into repairs on that. Thinking of cutting my losses and walking away. Put it on Craigslist for 6000 as is and had some serious inquiries but to get into another van similar is gonna cost a lot more then 6g's. who would walk and who would fix it?I'm into it 5000 just on the motor. Any thoughts?
montuckymanvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #16

Junkyard axle and go
Old 08-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Junkyard axle and go
My junkyard axle cost $700.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #18

i have been pricing vans and SMB's as i have to find a replacement for a project that went south.

As others have pointed out, I would think that depending on how clean and rust free your Van is going to will dictate the true value to others and also for yourself when contemplating keeping it.

IMO I think now that you have spent the big money on the engine you may want to keep it.

It has been good to you with the exception of the engine issue and now this.

I have found, that even with buying another vehicle that is supposed to be "perfect" I have had
to spend money on it just getting it where I wanted it to be.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #19

Yeah but Murphy's law means that as soon as a fix the axel my tranny will go out. Very torn.
montuckymanvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #20

as they say......things happen in 3's.

so count on the Tranny and with that replaced it should be a keeper.

Although, sounds like you are ready to move on perhaps.....