Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Resetting EGR register

Hi all. I just got the van out of the shop. I had a CEL (under boost) for a stuck turbo which the shop cleaned up. After they cleared the codes, all the smog registers had to be cleared and everything cleared except the EGR. I've gone over 300 miles and performed several drive cycles suggested on line...no luck. No CEL is on at least.

If the EGR isn't working correctly will it throw a CEL?

How friggin long do I have to drive before it clears?

Smog is due next week so I'm getting worried...thanks for any suggestions.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #2

Hi DaveB, are you trying to satisfy the P1000 - On Board Diagnostic System Reediness Test Not Complete?

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Well it's not tripping a CEL. Once they cleared the turbo code it reset all the smog registers.

Currently there are no codes or CEL, just the EGR register shows that it has not cleared yet on my scan tool. The shop claims that if the EGR isn't working correctly it would trigger the CEL. I'm not too sure about that. If the EGR isn't working, all the driving I'm doing isn't doing anything and I'm just wasting time.

The plan is to take it back to the shop and use their scanner to tell me if mine is working correctly. 90 mile drive to the shop. Maybe it will reset by then.

Here is one driving cycle I've done:
1. Turn the ignition on, but do not start the engine until the WAIT TO START indicator turns off, or 10 seconds has passed.

2. Start your truck's engine. Allow the engine to idle. Ensure the transmission is in Park or Neutral. Idle the engine for 40 seconds. Before proceeding, turn all accessories off and disengage TOW/HAUL (if equipped).

3. Begin driving... accelerate steadily to 3rd gear (A/T) and keep the engine RPM at 1500 RPM for 3 seconds. Continue by accelerating steadily from 35 MPH to 65 MPH in about 15 seconds (A/T). Repeat this procedure three times while maintaining conditions set in this step. The following conditions must be followed to run OBD-II monitors that require the engine to be under a load, one of which is the EGR monitor.

4. The driving portion of the drive cycle is now complete. Stop vehicle and allow the engine to idle for 20 seconds in Park or Neutral. Turn the ignition off. Start engine and allow engine to idle for 40 seconds in Park or Neutral. Drive cycle is complete. Turn off the ignition and do not start the engine for 30 minutes; while the ECU is performing additional self-tests.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Just to update this thread. I replaced the air filter (hoping it was the problem) and drove a total of 1800 miles over the past few weeks. Still the EGR still would not reset. Yesterday I told the shop to go ahead and reinstall the stock Ford tune again. The drive home was 90 miles from the shop and by the time I got back everything cleared. An expensive lesson to learn She passed smog today & got my tags