Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxswasser View Post
That makes me want to check my glow plugs. Could anyone point me towards a good tutorial?
Well the easiest way to diagnose the glow plugs, is by trying the block heater. If the block heater improves starting, the plugs are probably bad. If it makes no change, then you should probably look elsewhere for the cause of you problems.

Otherwise.... The process for testing involves first checking the glow plug relay output (which is actually a "module" on CA emissions vans), then measuring the resistance of all the glow plugs, but getting to them is not easy, so most folks just replace them if they're suspect, because of the labor involved just getting to them.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #32

I grew up on a farm with lots of diesels...dump half a can of sea foam into diesel tank...and take it out for a good 30 minute run on the interstate.
Run a check on all injectors and glow plugs would not hurt. However you got to clean up this issue.
Quigley-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #33

mean green

Mine was similar, It would always start but Just never seemed like it had the juice needed. I replaced all battery cables with 2/0, I installed new batteries. still the same. I ended up putting in a Mean Green starter and OMG! It came alive. Those things are pricey but amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxswasser View Post
I bought an '01 7.3 PSD with 46k miles in California this summer. Have been going through the conversion process myself after driving it to Canada to get a Tufport topper put on. I have about $22k all in right now.

As I have building it, I haven't been driving it much at all - just the occasional trip to Home Depot, but mostly just driving it 50 feet up and down my driveway. It's been a bit slow to turn over recently and today it barely started with outside temps at about 26 degrees. I was about to give up on starting it when it turned over. LOTS of blackish smoke poured out of the exhaust pipe, and it definitely didn't sound great. I had to kill it, and find a different ride. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I had a full inspection done in Reno, and was told the van was solid and in great shape. I failed emissions in Colorado after they found the PCV hose wasn't connected to the intake. I fixed that, and it passed.

Are disgusting clouds of black smoke just the norm for these engines? Do I need to drain the water/fuel separator? I'm literally so disgusted with this van that I'm scared to turn it on.

Thanks for the help y'all.

Max
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #34

I have a 99 Ford 7.3. Every year when the temp drops to the 30's or below the engine surges until it warms up. After it is warm it runs fine. But living with the surging in winter drives me so crazy that I only drive it if I'm going a long way. Is this normal behavior?

The only time I've had trouble starting has been when one of the batteries was bad.
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
I have a 99 Ford 7.3. Every year when the temp drops to the 30's or below the engine surges until it warms up. After it is warm it runs fine. But living with the surging in winter drives me so crazy that I only drive it if I'm going a long way. Is this normal behavior?

Mine does that for less than a minute
Old 11-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #36

All this WHINING about diesels There is a simple solution-V10
Less MPG,yes,but a whole LOT less problems,aggravation and Babysitting
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #37

I feel you Beasty

Don't think I have not thought about moving on, but until then I would like to find out if there is a less expensive solution than buying a new rig.
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Well the easiest way to diagnose the glow plugs, is by trying the block heater. If the block heater improves starting, the plugs are probably bad. If it makes no change, then you should probably look elsewhere for the cause of you problems.

Otherwise.... The process for testing involves first checking the glow plug relay output (which is actually a "module" on CA emissions vans), then measuring the resistance of all the glow plugs, but getting to them is not easy, so most folks just replace them if they're suspect, because of the labor involved just getting to them.
I plugged it in two days ago while it was snowing. It definitely started faster, but still took approximately the same number of turns to start. Thoughts? I recently got the van tested for emissions in CO, and a pre-purchase inspection done in Nevada. Would they have tested them?
maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #39

Try a new starter, anyone you can afford.
Just make sure you get a free returns if needed.
I'd bet it helps substantially.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty Boy View Post
All this WHINING about diesels There is a simple solution-V10
Less MPG,yes,but a whole LOT less problems,aggravation and Babysitting

Ah, finally a comment from the peanut gallery. No whining, most of us wouldn't have it any other way. I love the 6.0 psd.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote