Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2016, 12:17 AM   #21

Not related to solving your actual problem, but perhaps helpful to know:

In CA you can pay your registration without getting smog done. That way you won't owe any late fees. It'll go into incomplete status and they will send you the sticker once you complete the smog test.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #22

Garage
I use a SCT tuner. First smog attempt failed with the "Economy" tune in place (EGR closed all the time). Passed on the second test after I reset back to factory and drove about 50 miles. Don't believe the 1,000 mile story.

If you have a Scangauge check the EVD vs EVM. EVD "exhaust valve desired" vs "exhaust valve measured". They should match if the valve is operating normally.
Tapatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #23

Garage
I glanced through this thread and there are two things I would check. One- Is the EGR valve plugged into the engine harness. Two- are you running a block off plate that would not allow EGR flow/function? Has the vehicle passed CA smog with the bulletproofing done or is this the first attempt? Ford's drive cycle is a bit crazy on paper, but my experiences in reality suggest about 50 miles of mixed highway/city driving should do the trick. My apologies if these have been covered previously.

Scott
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage
It had passed the smog after they rebuilt the engine but the shop doing the work were the same folks who did the smog test, so I'm not sure what they did or when they did it. If they did the smog before changing the tune it doesn't count. The EGR cooler is active/working and running according to the shop. I want to get a code reader that reads the monitors and see if the drive home from Fresno already reset it. Reading up on this a few people thought I just needed to re-flash the van. So now I've driven about 90 miles. This same thing happened with my 96 Impala...
I plan to try what the PDF suggested even though it's an 06 not a 04 engine.

I'm all for clean air and we've achieved it over the last 30 or so years but the state pushes on for more. They have even talked about not letting you BBQ on certain days. These idiots running tunes that throw thick black smoke are in part why this state does what they do, but it's always to an extreme level not a modest one to fix problems.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #25

Garage
Emissions?... Since when do diesel vehicles have to get emissions checked?

jk, good luck
allenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio View Post
I use a SCT tuner. First smog attempt failed with the "Economy" tune in place (EGR closed all the time). Passed on the second test after I reset back to factory and drove about 50 miles. Don't believe the 1,000 mile story.

If you have a Scangauge check the EVD vs EVM. EVD "exhaust valve desired" vs "exhaust valve measured". They should match if the valve is operating normally.
Ron he's had several vehicles that just don't want to reset and everything is fine. My programmer shows all those stats but the shop told me I have to drive it in a plethora of modes...friggin BS.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:16 PM   #27

Hi Dave, One other thing I forgot to mention in my post was that on my van once the reediness test has been satisfied (p1000 code cleared) the whole thing starts all over if I clear my codes again (P1000 code will be back). I can only speak for my particular set up '05 6.0PSD with an Edge Insight for monitoring, code reading and clearing. My Edge Insight is the one with just gauges, no tunes. I'm not sure if other code readers are different in how they clear codes. In a nut shell I'm suggesting that when you complete your drive routine I would be careful not to the hit the clear codes button on the reader your using.

The main reason I seem to have to clear codes is that I seem to remove the airbox and inter-cooler plumbing a lot to get access to the front of the engine. To do that I need disconnect the Mass Air Sensor and inevitably will need to turn on the ignition for some reason or forget to plug it back in and HELLO need to clear the code.

Just for others knowledge, here in El Paso County of Colorado the only vehicle that gets smog tested are diesels. However, it's mainly a soot test. They strap it to a huge dyno (think big enough for a school bus), go to wide open throttle and you have so many seconds for the smoke to clear. Last time I went I had a P1000 code and it passed so I assume it's only the hard codes they worry about.

Anyway, let us know how it goes
-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #28
Site Team

Garage
From what I was told the state once let your vehicle with a few tripped monitors still pass but the air resource board now says all monitors must show clear.

My tuner does the same. I read it but don't try to clear it for reasons you mentioned. DP said just continue driving in different parameters. Every other code has reset so all I need to do is keep checking until it resets.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #29

Here are a couple links I found regarding the 6.0 and readiness test. They tell you how to drive and for how long.

Ford F250 6.0 Diesel Truck Drive Cycle

Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle
Old 12-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #30

and they wonder why people in California are aggro. They regulate you to death and every time you turn around they have their hand in your pocket.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote