Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #11

Re: Scangauge now monitors engine oil temp for the 6.0psd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
What is the max oil temp one should see? I can't seem to find any agreement on this.

Thanks
Z
Water temp +14 degrees.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #12

Just back from Yosemite with the EOT readings for the trip.

Driving down the road, my EOT is about 7 degrees (6-9 degrees) above the water temp on the ScanGuage. That had me quite worried about what would happen when I hit some hills.

Pacheco Pass was the first real test, and it surprised me. Going up, the van downshifted and revs went up, and the water temp started climbing and so did the EOT. But, the difference stayed the same. Well below the Ford maximum differential of 14 degrees, so I feel better about my oil cooler now.

When the fan came on, the water temp dropped first, then the EOT. Later hills did similar things. Max water temp was 225 and the EOT maxed out at 234. I guess I'll switch to synthetic oil based on that temp.

As I crested a hill, the water temps would drop much faster and the difference was up to 20 degrees, but I don't think that transient difference is important.

I'm interested in what others may see from their vans.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 04-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Water temp +14 degrees.

Mike[/quote]

Where is this information from? How does the ScanGauge measure oil temp? In the block or in the pan?

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Water temp +14 degrees.

Mike
Where is this information from? How does the ScanGauge measure oil temp? In the block or in the pan?[/quote]

On the Dieselstop site that information was posted as Ford's criteria for replacing an oil cooler.

Scanguage measures oil temp the same way it measures everything - from the information supplied by the various computers in the vehicle to the OBDII port.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 04-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #15

I have a 2006 6.0 PSD. At this point I have no extra monitoring systems/gauges other that what came with the van. If I was going to add something on for monitoring what would you all recommend....whatever it is I have a diesel mechanic who can install it for me.

Thanks,

Linda
lmsewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

On my van the most important is:
>>>>>Transmission temp via autometer gauges
>>>>Turbo exhaust temp via autometer gauges
>>>Voltage via Scan Gauge
>>Water temp via Scan Gauge, but with the problem that occured with the heater hose coming off and the scan gauge and stock gauge showing a normal level, I think an oil temp reading to be very important now; maybe #1 now. The only clue I had that my engine was overheating was the fan kicked up and never shut down. NOT GOOD.
>turbo boost via an autometer gauge but that one is not that important.

One thing nice about many duel purpose monitors such as the scan gauge is you can read several things at once but can toggle through others if you feel there is a problem with something like the boost.
I also monitor MPG and incoming air temp. The ability to read and reset codes is also something that's nice.
Just my views.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsewell
I have a 2006 6.0 PSD. At this point I have no extra monitoring systems/gauges other that what came with the van. If I was going to add something on for monitoring what would you all recommend....whatever it is I have a diesel mechanic who can install it for me.

Thanks,

Linda
My only addon gauge is the ScanGauge. As Dave mentioned, it can monitor many functions and display 4 at the same time. It also functions as a trip computer. Since my van is stock, I don't feel the need to monitor EGT. Also, a ScanGauge does not require a tech to install it. It simply plugs into the OBDII port under the dash. And it costs less than most of the other monitors.

Originally I purchased my ScanGauge because I had many CEL's (Check Engine Light's) but they always went away before I could get to the dealer. After I was able to tell the dealer what the code was, I got a new turbo and no more CEL's. And all the gauge functions are a real bonus. Highly recommended.

http://www.scangauge.com/

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 06-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Just back from Yosemite with the EOT readings for the trip.

Driving down the road, my EOT is about 7 degrees (6-9 degrees) above the water temp on the ScanGuage. That had me quite worried about what would happen when I hit some hills.

Pacheco Pass was the first real test, and it surprised me. Going up, the van downshifted and revs went up, and the water temp started climbing and so did the EOT. But, the difference stayed the same. Well below the Ford maximum differential of 14 degrees, so I feel better about my oil cooler now.

When the fan came on, the water temp dropped first, then the EOT. Later hills did similar things. Max water temp was 225 and the EOT maxed out at 234. I guess I'll switch to synthetic oil based on that temp.

As I crested a hill, the water temps would drop much faster and the difference was up to 20 degrees, but I don't think that transient difference is important.

I'm interested in what others may see from their vans.

Mike
I had very similar results coming up Sherwin Grade into Mammoth yesterday. It is a 15-20min climb, max 45mph and outside air temps were low 80s. Very common to see boilovers on this climb. Max water temp was 222 and max EOT was 231. Those temps were reached early in the climb which gave me some concern. But once there, the temps did not climb further.
R
Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #19
Site Team

So, on my trip to Utah, towing about 7000lbs over some long grades, the temp differentials between EOT and Water Temps did rise over 14 degrees. On level ground, the temp differential was minimal. I wonder if the max differential that Ford mentions includes all circumstances (e.g. towing) or just normal operation?

Herb
Old 06-15-2010, 06:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
So, on my trip to Utah, towing about 7000lbs over some long grades, the temp differentials between EOT and Water Temps did rise over 14 degrees. On level ground, the temp differential was minimal. I wonder if the max differential that Ford mentions includes all circumstances (e.g. towing) or just normal operation?

Herb
Herb, I have absolutely zero facts or technical knowledge to back this up.......but I would not worry about a temporary gap of 14+ degrees, especially if towing. I've seen temp gaps of 10-12deg, without towing, pulling long climbs. This happens pretty often. The water temp is a lot more volatile than EOT and it can spike up/down fast when the load on the motor rises/falls.
R