Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2022, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar66 View Post
Yes JoeH. I found that out. My mechanic was able to return it to the tune provided by Gearhead. This learning curve is a long one.
Generally, the custom tunes turned the EGR valve off so you wouldn't get a engine check light if the EGR system was deleted.

Even if you have a custom tune on the SCT if you do a software update the tunes are over-written to not turn off the EGR valve. That could raise an issue if the EGR system was indeed deleted.

I tried Matt's tunes from Gearhead (SLR and tow tune) and even after a revision could not get them to work right. They ran hot and smoky and the shifting was never quite right.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 12:47 PM   #12

ShuttlePilot. Not sure what questions you might have from my first post. I did get may van back yesterday. They drove it to me! I believe they were feeling embarrassed about not digging into all the issues from the beginning. It turns out that coolant sensor and water pump relay had problems. I am still scratching my head about this but I let it go. I took the van out for an hour and it seems to be doing well. My ECT and OCT got up to about 215. This may be just fine or a little hot depending on who you talk to. I believe the target parameters are around 190-205 but that is just what I read online. I guess the readings can differ from van to van depending on weight etc. That hour was just city driving with no long inclines or freeway driving of over 65mph. I am going to give it a strenuous test drive today. Up to Mt. Hood with long stretches of incline. Crossing my fingers. If it passes this test I am finally going to be able to hit the road for a long fly fishing adventure. Right now I am focusing on learning the ins and outs of the SCT. It does me no good to own this equipment if I do not know how to read it. Let me know if you have any questions.
darkstar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 12:55 PM   #13

JoeH. They did get it back to where it was. Supposedly it is the same tune that they did when they did the EGR delete. They told me that the update I supposedly downloaded did not finish. I can see that as I did fumble through it and was never quite sure if I had completed the update. During my test drive yesterday (see replay to ShuttlePilot) I did feel as if it was a little slow to shift. And the ECT and OCT got up to 215 with about an hour of city driving. What would you suggest as far as finding the right company to give me the right tune?
Old 10-13-2022, 01:01 PM   #14

If 215 for both ect and otc are normal then yes. But as I was saying to ShuttlePilot these readings were after an hour of city driving. I will push it harder today. I did feel like the tranny was slow to shift. The mech was able to find the overheating problem. Coolant sensor and water pump relay. So they say. JoeH had problems with the tunes Gearhead provided. I just do not know who/ where to go to get solid advice and tunes. Honestly I do not really understand how that process work.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:40 PM   #15

Quote:
JoeH. They did get it back to where it was. Supposedly it is the same tune that they did when they did the EGR delete. They told me that the update I supposedly downloaded did not finish. I can see that as I did fumble through it and was never quite sure if I had completed the update. During my test drive yesterday (see replay to ShuttlePilot) I did feel as if it was a little slow to shift. And the ECT and OCT got up to 215 with about an hour of city driving. What would you suggest as far as finding the right company to give me the right tune?
I had the best luck with the tunes from Power Hungry Performance. However, nobody will write a tune anymore that tells the EGR valve to remain closed as part of current emission standards. That ship has sailed and the real reason for doing a 'delete' per say was to remove the EGR cooler from the system, a common failure point. That largely became moot with new aftermarket EGR coolers and new understanding of the particulates in Ford Gold coolant that clogged the oil cooler thus restricting coolant flow to the EGR cooler. That led to headgaskets lifting and other issues. You might want to check whether the EGR cooler has been physically removed or more simply you have a tune that just turns of the EGR valve which stops the valve from dumping soot back into the engine.

With regard to Gearhead, the transmission shifts were way too hard for a daily driver and there was a delay going into gear. The apparent solution with Gearhead tunes was to (even after shifting the REV limiter to 4500 with the tuner).

Another reason to get tuning is if you run a bigger than stock turbo so you don't get too much lag. This is a decent write-up on the pros and cons. https://greengarageblog.org/13-6-0-p...0the%20vehicle.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:33 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
... I just do not know who/ where to go to get solid advice and tunes. Honestly I do not really understand how that process work.
Seems your motivation (aside from the 246 degree spike you experienced) is to control your temps so they remain in the lower parameters of the 'acceptable' range. If that's the case, I can recommend 3 steps that have helped me accomplish the same goal:
1***Mishimoto Low temp thermostat (OEM Thermostat doesn't open fully until temps hit in the neighborhood of 216 - so even if your cooling system is able to operate at a lower temp, its being forced to run hotter than a thermostat which opens fully at a lower temp)
2***Mishimoto Aluminum radiator
3***5-Star tune (Just wanted a little boost, so I opted for a 40hp, 50hp, and 60hp), and each tune enables the fan to come on earlier than the OEM parameters produced. The fan spinning earlier comes in real handy when I'm climbing long steep grades, or when traveling slow (when air flow through the radiator is low) on steep grades or on sharp winding roads (and/or 4WD scenarios).

You could do the Ford fan-clutch blue wire mod, and control the fan yourself from your dash - I just like the fact the 5-Star tune does it automatically.
Old 10-15-2022, 07:45 AM   #17

Twoxentrix, Mishimoto makes an aluminum radiator that fits in vans with a 6.0?
Old 10-15-2022, 08:48 AM   #18

Twoxentrix,
Thanks so much for the info. I will order both Mishimoto products. I am hoping to R & R the radiator myself. Also hoping it is not to big of a project with our vans having such a cramped engine compartment. When you say 5-Star tune are you meaning a tune from the SCT. If so how would that affect the EGR bypass? It was not physically bypassed, it was done with a tune.
Old 10-15-2022, 08:49 AM   #19

Garage
@JoeH ; Yes on the 6.0 radiator. They sell a lot of them for E-350 ambulance upgrades. They also have a trans cooler for the 6.0, but it requires a lot of fab work to make it fit (would be easier for vans with the updated front end - 2008+) because of the extra room… so we sent it back and went another route.
Old 10-15-2022, 08:55 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Twoxentrix,
Thanks so much for the info. I will order both Mishimoto products. I am hoping to R & R the radiator myself. Also hoping it is not to big of a project with our vans having such a cramped engine compartment. When you say 5-Star tune are you meaning a tune from the SCT. If so how would that affect the EGR bypass? It was not physically bypassed, it was done with a tune.
You would have to talk to 5-Star about your EGR bypass, I have no idea if they can (or do) incorporate that programming into their tunes.
5 STAR TUNING
843-536-1244

Located At:
1820 Trade St.
Florence, SC 29501

Located just 1 mile from exit 164 via interstate I-95.

Hours: Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.- 5:30 p.m. (Eastern).

Direct Extensions and Emails:
https://5startuning.com/about-us/

Technical Support:
https://5startuning.com/support/