Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #11

Re: service manual for parts breakdown?

ANZAC, I am keeping the SMB installed radio switch off for now. I will rewire the radio to be drawing on the house battery 100% of the time and only when it is turned on. When I reconnected the starter battery, I had not lost the radio presets.They are saved even though the radio has 0 power to.

Jamie (ultrasport12) Thank for your offer. I may take you up on it at the end of the month when my grandson, age 17, and I start working on the problem. My friend narrowed the draw down to fuse # 12 in the fuse/relay location. But, they had to go back to Alaska today. I really want to have my own manual for my 2008 V10, though.

Angel

2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #12

Angel,

There are a bunch of factory manuals for 2008 vans on eBay right now. I never bid I only use buy it now. there are at least two for under $20 shipped to your door for just the wiring diagrams.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Ford-/34219/i.h ... 86.c0.m301

If you mean the number 12, a 60 amp fuse under the hood in the Battery Junction Box (BJB)
it feeds other fuses in the Central Junction Box (CJB) under the dash. Those fuses are as follows:

F-29 10 amp for the Data Link Connector (DLC)
F-34 30 amp this fuse is for the body builder connector that might be used to power something during a conversion or an installation of something.
F-35 Not used but maybe someone added something to it.
F-40 20 amp Power Point at the Drivers side B-Pillar (not always used)
F-41 30 amp Modified Vehicle Power

So now you can try eliminating those fuses one by one and possibly narrow it down even more.
You shouldn't have to worry about F-29 (DLC) as almost no one would tap into that. I think F-34 or F-41 are your best bets, possibly F-40.

Good Luck...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #13

Jamie, (or any one else who knows)

first , should I start a thread under electrical? Should I PM you, e mail you or go thru the forum? Are you even around to day as we are working on it now.

When I check for a amp draw, the meter starts out at about 1.8 amps then drops to about .7 in about 30 sec. Is this normal for a amp draw reading?

I clamped the wires from multi meter with allegator clips to get steading reading of .79 to .69.

I pulled all the fuses under the hood to get reading of 0.00 then started putting them back one at a time.

#12 = .10 Amps
#18 = .01 amps
#22 =jumped to 1.62 the settled to .70

#22 controls the following fuses under the dash: 4, 5, 10, 11, 16, 17, 22, & 23.
I am now checking them. I will need to know what they control when I find the guilty one or ones.

I have ordered a wireing diagram.

Angel
Old 02-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #14

Fuse # 22 under the dash has a .67 amp draw. If I turn on the SMB radio switch to switch the radio to the house batteries and do not even turn the radio on the draw jumps to 1.88 amps and stays at that. So much for the way SMB wires the radio. I am fixing that today.

My conclusion is that I DO NOT have an abnormal amp draw. Every one was reading the meter it at first touch and not letting the reading settle down. My battery was getting marginal so I replaced it with an Odessy 65 AGM. Lifeline did not have a 65 AGM I was told.

Angel
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #15

AngeL,

Sorry I was out of town this weekend and missed your post somehow.... Not like me because I love this forum and check it all the time.....Feel free to pm me anytime about anything...Always glad to help if I can...Sounds like you have it figured out...I am sure it was just the marginal battery...

It is always best to let the meter sit for a little bit with any newer vehicle as things on the data bus systems need time to stop sending information back and forth before they go to rest/sleep...If after five or even ten minutes with everything closed up (all doors and hood) key off and out, (also alarm off as it sould be tested separately ) basically like it would be when parked and you still have a large draw then you need to find the cause...

Again simple amp draw rule of thumb for any vehicle is.
0.50 (1/2) amp or less is ideal but with all the electronics these days it is harder to do this good...
0.51 to 0.75 amps is a bit high but is OK most of the time...
0.76 to 1 amp is starting to be too much but if it doesn't sit too long without a decent drive or a battery charge you can live with it, I would start using a battery maintainer when parked more than a day or two at this point and would want to know what the draw was to see if it could be reduced...
Anything over 1 amp is really just too much unless you are driving it every day or two and you know exactly what is causing it....

Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote