Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Shifter - loose?

Those are service messages, trouble codes and history of your vehicle. They help the mechanic troubleshoot the problem. I take it yours is a lighted indicator, not the mechanical pointer type.

Just curious, have you decided against the extended warranty? I understand you don't own a 6.0PSD and myself I would probably pass on it if I had a gas engine.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #12

Re: Shifter - loose?

Thanks for decoding Dave.

I didn't buy the extended warranty - thinking it was not cost effective (still think that's right for me, as you guessed my van is a 5.3L gas engine). Even Alan Feld made a note of it being a must have if you buy a diesel engine. Otherwise, it was just nice to have if you have the money.

I don't know for sure, but I think my shift lever is mechanical [oops, correction - it looks like it is electronic]. The owners manual does not say. [corrected:] I notice that if the light doesn't go on you won't know where it's positioned. It shifts like an old 1990 Chevy 1/2 ton mechanical lever - with a little noise and clicking into position feel to it. My 2013 Chevy Avalanche has an electronic shifter per the owners manual, shifts very smooth and has a silky feel to it with no noise.

I'm a little disappointed to be in a hunt and peck mode for this troubleshoot. The dealer said it could be any number of things and they could be disassembling stuff without cause (probably do more harm than good). So, it's the waiting game... just hope I'm not risking anything important, especially safety. Maybe it me - I could be pulling the lever to close to me before trying to move it. Not used to these new vehicles and their fancy controls.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote