Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #1

Should i run away from a remanufactured 6.0 PSD?

Looking for some timely advice here. I'm getting ready to finish this purchase:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12147

During my initial inspection the owner claimed didn't have any maintenance documents, but he shared the names of the shops he had work done at; diesel and Ford shops around the SW. I made some calls and found that he had a remanufactured (Ford) 6.0 installed by Diesel Services in Grand Junction. To be fair, I never specifically asked if it was the original engine while I was checking the van out pre-purchase.

The bulk of the other service visits seem to be oil changes and I wasn't able to confirm any EGR maintenance or fuel filter changes while on the phone with the various service depts. The owner seems knowledgeable of the 6.0 issues so I would have to guess (hope) they were done on schedule.

So... in light of this new info, do I bail on my 10% deposit and cut my losses. I guess having an engine with an unknown past (ambulance, school bus, etc) makes me just a little skeptical. What other important details may have been overlooked/omitted. Thanks!

eric

Old 11-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #2

Re: Should i run away from a remanufactured 6.0 PSD?

I'd probably trust a Re-man 6.0 more than a stock 6.0. At least the reman gets the current updates when its build.

Seem like most Ambulances and Shuttle buses with the 6.0 get a reman by the time they hit 200k (I'm sure extended idling is a factor).
Old 11-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #3

May I ask is it even an option to bail on the deposit as you now own the rig?
I am assuming the owner is giving you a bail out opportunity?

I also assume you have not yet registered the VAN as that tax would have been paid and don't think refundable.

My concern is that a seller should have pointed that out "looking out" for the next buyer. In and of itself I agree with prior post. But always skeptical when facts are not revealed at the time.

It is nice of them to agree to buy buy…..Why did PO have Reman put in or was it in when he bought it. do miles on ride reflect both engines or was ODO messed with…?

It looked like a super nice rig and if all checks out and you are happy with it keep it. It was a great price and another Engine down the road won't kill you. Be less than your 10% forfeit.

just my 2 cents.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #4

What I meant by "bail" is just that, walk away from a non-refundable deposit. Seems a bit extreme now, but in the moment it made some sense. If the seller is comfortable not disclosing a major piece of this van's service history, what else am I missing?

The van has 57k on it now, the remanufactured engine was installed may 2012, so figure at 50k. The job invoice said the cause for replacing the engine was a "knock". I can't imagine a shop resetting an odometer for such a job since they don't have a history for the new engine and everything else remains the same.

Feeling a little better, thanks

eric
Old 11-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesomatic
What I meant by "bail" is just that, walk away from a non-refundable deposit. Seems a bit extreme now, but in the moment it made some sense. If the seller is comfortable not disclosing a major piece of this van's service history, what else am I missing?

The van has 57k on it now, the remanufactured engine was installed may 2012, so figure at 50k. The job invoice said the cause for replacing the engine was a "knock". I can't imagine a shop resetting an odometer for such a job since they don't have a history for the new engine and everything else remains the same.

Feeling a little better, thanks

eric
Hmmm. While still think reman's are generally OK, I would also be worried about his failure to disclose that seeing how recent it was. Usually the 6.0s fail early with under 1500 miles (valve problems due to short-cycling the motor during transit and build-out) or in the 75-125k range because the EGR cooler failed.

If it failed when it was new, and he's been running a reman since, I could understand him claining "no-issues" since most of the miles would have been on the reman. But having just done it a year ago? Seems a little fishy that he would not disclose that. It's not like a dealer would slip in a reman motor without the customer knowing (unless they botched another minor job and tried to hide it. )

At the same time, I wonder if maybe he was taken for a ride? If heard some REALLY bad knock from the 6.0 because either the FICM was bad or an injector was leaking. It really does sound like rod know when its detonating early. Even heard the same thing in a brand new repo wrecker with the Cummins 6.7L, when a new hire was sent to gas up the truck. Well.... he put gas in it
Old 11-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #6

Although new to this forum, I think that most of the people I have met are up front and honest.
Everyone makes mistakes and leaves things out in the moment.

the engine is a major item and the Reman almost seems like a positive selling point if they had mentioned it up front.

I guess, take everything into account especially your experience with seller.

It may very well be the score of the century.

good luck and hope it works out for you