Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #1

Should I take a 6.0 to Baja?

I own a 2005 E350 6.0 diesel with a raised roof and Quigley 4 x 4. I bought the van with 28,000 miles on it and now it's registering 52,000. Since I've owned it, it's died on the side of the road twice, needing to be towed to the dealer for repair. I now have the BulletProof EGR Cooler (not the delete), a new oil cooler, an updated HPOP fitting, a new fuel pressure regulator and sensor and a new oil pressure sensor. I monitor the engine with a Scanguage II.

I'd like to take this van to Punta San Carlos, Mexico, but after two breakdowns in just 24,000 miles and so many similar stories of 6.0 problems on the internet, I'm reluctant to take this engine too far from easy towing. I don't like breaking down anywhere, but from the main road to Punta San Carlos is 50+ miles of pretty remote territory. Does anyone have experience on how to handle a 6.0 breakdown between the U.S. border and Punta San Carlos? Do any of you have any thoughts on whether or not the 6.0 is sufficiently reliable to be taken anywhere far off the beaten path?

Thanks for your input.

forde350diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #2

Re: Should I take a 6.0 to Baja?

I didn't give a second thought to taking an unmodified '04 6.0 (~200k miles on chassis, 50+k on engine) down with my family. Has yours broken down since you've done your mods? It really sounds like you've covered all of the bases. Just take a reasonable spares kit (misc sensors (ICP, crankshaft), fuel filters, etc.) and you should be fine. Also, I've found mechanics in Mexico to be top notch and very resourceful because they can't afford to replace everything.

I just returned from Baja this week in a beater truck with 250k miles. I thought about it but it did not stop me. Other than the various attempted beheadings, it was great!

Eager to hear more details about your trip. When are you going? Surfing, fishing?
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Site Team

The way yours is set up now, I wouldn't be more concerned about a breakdown in your SMB than with any other vehicle. That said, AAA doesn't cover Mexico. Single vehicle travel in Mexico does can have some challenges.

Herb
Old 02-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #4

Heck, even if it does break down, you're still in a camper van. Fire up the stove for tea, roll out the awning, set up your chairs and relax. Someone will be along soon enough....
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote