Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2014, 12:00 AM   #11

Re: Sorry, couldn't resist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH
Hey, PatO how many miles do you have on your 6.0 and how much have you spent in repairs and/or prevention? I'm not looking for an exhaustive list or anything, just an estimate. If its gone well then maybe there should be a "6.0 success" thread if there isn't one already? Or maybe I just typed something completely ridiculous that is going provide a lot of guys a lot of laughs...
It had not gone well for me, I have 70K miles in 9.5 years. Last year I spent $21K on the van. Now about $5k was on 5 tires, 2 replacement rims, battery minder solar panel, ball joints, tire rod ends and other non 6.0 stuff. Of the remaining $16K about $4.5K alone went to the BulletProof oil cooler parts / install and getting it hooked up to the Amsoil Bypass filter systems. One could go a replacememt OEM cooler for less that a grand. The remaining $'s went to a new turbo (stock with a wicked wheel), FICM upgrade, EGR cooler, coolant filter, BDP water pump, stand pipe upgrade, HO alternator, other known upgrades and every cracked hose (CAC, radiator, heater), bracket, pulley and part that was found defective + the oil, all the filters, block flushing. Basically the costs were about 50/50 parts and labor.

What I have right now makes me happy. It's a beast that roars and a pleasure to drive. This is now the engine I didn't have the last 10 years (I left one enhancement off my list on purpose). Oh and my mileage has improved (hint hint). So previously, not a success story and it remains to be seen if there might be one in my future. Fingers crossed with great hope!

To paraphrase a very old saying - A 6.0 owner and his money is soon parted. hahaha

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #12

I love the 6.0. Just hearing one makes me want to travel.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
Site Team

Garage

If I had known the 6.0's track record I would have set aside 15K so I could upgrade the engine after the warranty was up. So far I haven't spent too much on engine issues. Most of the out of pocket funds have been for things that could happen to any engine. But loss in my time, tows, and car rentals have been kind of costly. The 6.0 isn't to blame for 2 punctured radiators, brake problems and things like that. Knock on wood, but I've yet to have a turbo issue. The big cost to date have been the FICM upgrade and wire harness. I should have added a better EGR cooler when Ford pulled the old one, a mistake on my part.
Some might not agree but I love the sound of my engine and low end crawling torque. I was really surprised how much better fuel mileage I got when doing a slow run with another V-10. Highway speeds are a different story though.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #14

I agree with you both, I love the sound (after I added a bit of extra insulation in the doghouse) and it seems to want to just run all day long, even up and down the mountains here in Oregon. I have put some money into it in an effort to be proactive at adressing some of the known common failures. I also have a pyrometer and Scanguage that I do admit to keeping a close eye on when pulling long grades or running at freeway speeds in the summer, but so far so good. Seems from what I've read, and in talking to my diesel mechanic, the 6.0 is great...until it isn't. There are some success stories, but cleary there are also plenty horror stories as well.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #15

I think horror stories come from folks that don't do routine maintenance on a regular basis. I'm pretty new to the 6.0l but the stuff I've learned so far through this forum and others has helped me understand it better. My mechanic (that I use when I need him) thinks that the problems with this engine are overstated. They deal more with the F series people that like to "chip" engines. Of course, he does recommend the usual "bulletproof" improvements to make it a 300+K motor. Just my thoughts. Barry
lonepeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepeak
I think horror stories come from folks that don't do routine maintenance on a regular basis. ... Just my thoughts. Barry
So what specified maintenance was I failing to perform when I required turbo repair service for stuck vanes @ 12k, 18K, 32K, 55K and 68K miles? Just my money, Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
Quote:
I think horror stories come from folks that don't do routine maintenance on a regular basis. ... Just my thoughts. Barry
So what specified maintenance was I failing to perform when I required turbo repair service for stuck vanes @ 12k, 18K, 32K, 55K and 68K miles? Just my money, Pat
And I'm at 90K and haven't had a turbo issue yet. I just don't get it. Maybe a year thing???

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #18

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

The great majority of 6.0 never have major problems - go figure.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #19

Quote:
I think horror stories come from folks that don't do routine maintenance on a regular basis. I'm pretty new to the 6.0l but the stuff I've learned so far through this forum and others has helped me understand it better. My mechanic (that I use when I need him) thinks that the problems with this engine are overstated. They deal more with the F series people that like to "chip" engines. Of course, he does recommend the usual "bulletproof" improvements to make it a 300+K motor. Just my thoughts. Barry
Agreed!

We've had our 2008 6.0 for 13 months and 9K miles now. At first I was tentative about the engine, but it starts reliably and runs like a champ.

I had an oil leak fixed, but other than that, no engine problems. I had the EGR cleaned and checked out when I first got it because I wasn't confident about the PO's maintenance regimen, but, looking back, it was probably money wasted. Made me feel better though, as it gave me a baseline to start from.

I try -- but don't often succeed -- to keep speeds between 65 and 70 and am reasonably happy with just under 15 MPG in hilly/mountainous roads. Not bad for a 9,000 LB vehicle with all the aerodynamic qualities of a shoebox, IMO.

I have no intentions of chipping or tuning mine. I'm happy with it as it is. It does the job, and does it very well. If I want to think I'm Speed Racer, well, that's what my G37 is for!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #20

And, I think it has more to do with luck.

Some early injectors stuck, some didn't. Two of mine did. Another injector suffered a broken seat after 100K.

Turbo's. Who knows? 1 remanufactured from Ford and now a new one from Garret.

Transmission had porous casting and leaked fluid.

Sensors can fail on any engine, gas or diesel. My cam position sensor went out.

I'm on my 4th alternator.

EGR valves. Mine had a piece of carbon stick it open. 150 mile tow to dealer.

I have a dual oil filter system, regularly change synthetic oil, replace coolant, have a coolant filter, change belts and hoses @100K, trans fluid every 25K, add lubricant to the fuel, etc.

What maintenance have I missed? How did I contribute to any of these failures?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote