Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #31

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Re: Sorry, couldn't resist...

"Most" don't have problems? I didn't know that. All I know is that I've gotten my ass kicked:

HPOP line failure and clogged oil cooler at less than 30k--$3000 for dealer to repair w/Bulletproof EGR cooler.

FICM and Turbo failure at less than 70k--$2800 for me to repair including Powermax turbo and custom tune. I carry around $5-600 worth of sensors just in case--not that I'd have a prayer of replacing them on the trail.

Now it RunsLikeSh*t when cold despite using Stanadyne, Ford cetane enhancer and Amsoil since the day--literally the day--I bought it. Sticking injectors...

Spent yesterday replacing all the intercooler hoses after the one on the turbo slid off. That, however, was my fault because routing around the 270A alternator made the stock hose about 1/2" too short. I bought a 5 ply 45 degree hose online and now it's fine. All other CAC hoses are new Ford stuff.

Still, I'm with Mike, I love the van and it's running super when warmed up. Next winter will be spent pulling the engine, installing headstuds, rebuilt factory injectors, Airdog II, 4" exhaust and maybe one of those cool fuel recirculation kits.

Hopefully it will make it until then.

Z

P.S.: I tried to apply for the lawsuit reparations (is that the right word?), but didn't qualify because my van wasn't under warranty at the time of the repairs.

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Now it RunsLikeSh*t when cold despite using Stanadyne, Ford cetane enhancer and Amsoil since the day--literally the day--I bought it. Sticking injectors...
Have you had a recent reflash? I don't remember when it came out, but because of the cold-sticking issue, Ford added an "inductive injector heating" program to all of the newer updates. It works really well. I was at the point where I was about to replace all the injectors on a customer's truck (dealer already told him he needed to) but doing a single treatment with Marvel in the fuel and doing a flash including the inductive heating update, and it ran great! Well.... at least it solved the most pressing problem.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #33

I have a mild custom DP-tune for the Powermax turbo, what should I ask for concerning the update? It was running poorly cold before the turbo job, but maybe it would help. Not clear what it does.

Z

Old 02-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #34
Site Team

Garage

You try Hot Shot Secret yet Tom? A lot of our fleet mechanics swear by it. I've been using it for about a year. Not saying it will do much for the cold startup though. Ford did the flash that CarringB is talking about to my van before I added the new FICM. It erased my speedometer re-program a buddy did so I'd tell Ford not to re-flash your FICM if you got the same one I have. I'm not sure how far they go when they re-flash or even if it's done through the same port. All I know is I paid for the upgraded FICM program and don't want to loose it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:31 PM   #35

Tom,

I've been using Hot Shot's secret also; it does make the engine quieter.

Also, why do you feel the need to do headstuds? Unless you are adding a bunch of power it shouldn't be necessary. Even stock F-Series with 325hp don't need studs until they add 50 or 100 more horsepower. I mean, if you 'need' to pull the engine and take it apart just because - go for it!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #36

A lot of pertinent info here it would seem http://www.justanswer.com/ford/1efj7...ccelerate.html
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #37

I haven't tried Hot Shot, but will. 5w-40 oil helped, but not good for summer duty.

Z

Old 02-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #38

I was under the impression that 'inductive heating' increases the load on the FICM and can cause failures; and was no longer being used.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #39

Yes - looks like one has to be careful

FROM - http://www.ficmrepair.com/FAQ/index.htm

Is there any reason that I *need* to change out of my current software?

Possibly. There is one particular tune revision available from Ford for only a short time that killed FICM's and did so in short order. This software used an aggressive heat induction (think short circuit) out to all eight injectors at the same time to warm up the motor oil in each of the fuel injector heads when the key is turned to the 'on' position as part of the starting process.

The trouble is, much like your toaster, this pulls a tremendous amount of current - current that your module is just not rated to handle. The software is known as a 'FICM killer' for a reason! If you don't elect an aftermarket tune at the time of your order and we discover that you have one of these software revisions on your module, we'll reach out to you to discuss the benefits of moving to alternate software revisions.

The problematic FICM software is: ARZ2AL00 (2003-2004), ARZ2AL00 (04.5), and ARZ2AL01 (05 on up).

The 'latest' Ford software revisions (ARZ2AH10, ARZ2AL10, and ARZ2AL11) have a more 'mild' induction strategy, but these result in significant power losses. Most that have the 'latest' versions still love their 6.0's, but complain of horrible turbo lag (off the line performance), poor throttle response just generally, and poor fuel economy.

WHAT's a poor 6.0 owner to do?
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO

WHAT's a poor 6.0 owner to do?
You could always give Michael/MGMetalWorks a jingle, and have him stuff a Cummins under your hood. Starting with a 6.0 should be much easier than his 5.4L conversion because you can keep the Transmission, Trans controller, and fuel supply system.

His long-term plans is to re-power Ford vans, kinda like the companies that stuff Suby or Ford Zetec engines into VW vans.