Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 09:03 PM   #1

Garage
Sound when turning

I just noticed that when I turn on pavement I am hearing a sound and filling something similar to a tire rubbing. I can not seem to get it to rub when turning when stationary. I did trim the rear corner of front fenders to see if that would help. After a long drive, the hubs were warm but could hold on to them with no problem(105 outside). Anything else that could cause something similar?

TexGX

2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:37 PM   #2

Re: Sound when turning

My tires rub on the radius arms, bit clear everything else. Sounds like tires rubbing.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:36 AM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Hey Waymon, I used to have that happen as well, thought I was breaking something the first few times it happened, always when beginning my turn from a stop. Figured out it was the back of the front tire rubbing on the fender or pinch weld. I may have mentioned the steps I took to remedy the problems in someone else's thread, instead of starting my own Q upgrade thread. Anyway, I've since pretty much had the front end redone. It started with CCV adj torque arms to sneak the axle forward for more tire clearance and ended with Boulder off-road installing a bigger sway bar with new end links, building a new track bar mount to bring it back into spec and tweaking the drag link to gain clearance on the diff. after moving things forward even more, I'm now running 315's (up from 285's) with no clearance or rubbing issues. Boulder off-road also builds longer, fixed length torque arms as well, very nice upgrade. The van rides better than ever, esp with Agile's RIP kit, but these other mods gave my Q a whole new feel now that things are properly aligned, axle is pushed forward and the bigger sway bar is installed. Sorry to highjack, and you certainly don't need to go through these costs to remedy some tire rubbing when a little fender trimming will do, but just in case, feel free to get in touch.....
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:47 AM   #4

Garage

Ok. Sounds like I need to crawl under it and do some more investigating. Thanks for the replies.
REF,
I am hoping it not that big of a fix, but will call if I need to go that direction.

TexGX
Old 07-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #5

A little bit of rubbing is not a big deal. You may find a bit of shiny metal where the tire rubs, or not.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:54 AM   #6

Are you sure it isn't grinding from your rear LSD? It could be as simple as that, especially if you are only hearing it while moving off from a stop and turning.

The solution is simple, many threads on it. (add LSD additive until sound goes away)

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #7

Garage

It sure seems to be coming from the front, but I could be wrong. Thanks for the tip.

TexGX
Old 07-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #8

Garage

i get the same rubbing style noise and its most definitely coming from the front. its also not all the time and very random when it happens. i have yet to be able to associate the noise with anything yet. just happens some days and not others.

i havent been able to id where the noise is coming from either, but it hasnt gotten any worse since i first got the van (will be 3 years in nov). hasnt changed with new tires (same size) and i cant find any bare metal where it could possibly be rubbing. one thing thats weird is that it doesnt do it when in 4wd. i really need to get off my lazy ass and setup a camera so i can see what the hell is going on.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #9

mine will rub occasionally when turning and hitting a bump or depression or something that causes the spring to compress some. no big deal.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #10

Garage

mine will do it on level ground going turtle slow. id understand a compression buzz at lock from a tire and that wouldnt bother me in the least bit. its just that when mine does it its very unwarranted. im only concerned cause i dont understand it. im happy im not alone though. i never started a thread cause i didnt want to sound crazy, but have no issues jumping on a bandwagon already in motion so thanks tex
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote